Challenging Construction Techniques - Several examples

Several solutions and one open question:

  1. Drilling holes in glass. I build a "dam" around the hole site and fill with water. Then use a diamond particle "drill" in a Dremel or even an electric drill. I use plasticene modeling clay to hold the water. Key is to "wear" your way through - push only gently. (If you have to drill through on a verticl surface, then a special water containment "puck" or else a water squirt bottle (2 person job) might do. Water cools and damps vibration. An old 19th century trick.

  1. Gluing teflon, silicone. Flash surface with the inner cone of a hot torch. A butane torch works well. (small flame.) Play over surface to oxidize it.

  2. Gluing rubber, like the soles of modern shoes. Modern shoes use 'molded' soles which wear out quickly - even 0 shoes you will see this. (Rockport World Tour, Ecco Seawalker.) The open question is how to put a repair on the sole to fix rounded over wear. "Shoe Goo" not good enough.

AFAICT, a good approach would be a one part or 2 part castable urethane. Fill with strengthening particles like fine silica for wear resistance? How to get a good bond to a rubber sole which may have oil in it?

It's challenge for the glue expert - Probably sanding the sole, then a layer of "Gorilla Glue", then butter on a filled, castable urethane.

Although these are not specifically 'electronics design," much electronics needs packaging, and these bonding issues may be relevant at some point. As a gluing challenge, the sole fix is tops. The wear properties of automobile tires have not been achieved with shoe soles, IMO.

Reply to
haiticare2011

The hardware-store pointy carbide drills do glass just fine.

So, buy $20 shoes and toss them when they break.

Precision electronic instrumentation

### I've had glass break with those drills - maybe wrong technique. Despite being diamond coated, those drills are dirt cheap.

#### You must have good feet. I work out by walking fast 2-4 miles a day, and that stresses the shoes. Also, there is quite a difference in comfort between a cheap shoe and a more expensive one.

I tried to present it as a problem in gluing, as there are many repair jobs besides shoes. The castable urethane is touted as a repair material for conveyor belts, for instance.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Another thing the diamond -water system will let you do is to mill slots, rectangles and other shapes in the glass. I just got through prototyping a "food safe" light source, isolated behind glass, and had to drill a number of

fairly precise holes.

Reply to
haiticare2011

I played with some numbers several years ago, and decided that walking boots cost about $0.40 per km, over the price range around $100-$500. Car tyres cost roughly $0.02 per km.

So figure out how to glue car tyre material to boots.

YMMV !

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

In Africa, they solve the problem by making sandals out of old car tires.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Cutting brittle materials always puts cracks in the surface, which are typically where failure eventually occurs. Smaller cracks are better, so if it's likely to matter in the application, abrasive cutting works better than masonry bits, which leave much bigger cracks. The old method was to use a piece of brass tube with a short slot cut near the working end, together with emery slurry. You can make really good cuts that way, but it's slow.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

recycling - I am interested in extending the life of these modern molded shoes. I get fed up with throwing out a pair of shoes with nice fitting uppers, but the sole wears out.

It's a fun game - I currently get up to 6 months out of a single Gillette cartridge - 1200 grit diamond sharpening block plus special technique.

Reply to
haiticare2011

I was referring to the "arrowhead" carbide glass drills. They make pretty nice holes in glass, fairly fast; a little water helps.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Come to think of it, my father used to both re-sole my boots, and make sandals, out of car tyres in the 1950's.

Recycling is not new !

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

In the 30s, they used newspaper to patch shoes.

Wasn't in the '50s, either. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Not new, it's just been recycled.