CD4060 Xtl Osc. Circuit

...but Maxim has promised us that they've changed! I laughed at one of the Disties when they told me that recently. No, I'm not interested in Maxim, either. We do use one of their RS422 transceivers. Why, I have no idea. There are cheaper parts around, and from far more reliable suppliers.

Reply to
krw

When you go to oszillators there's 22 hits, 20 of them non-stock. Only the DS32KHZS is stocked in two temperature grades.

The MSP430 is in the uA range with just a 32kHz crystal but yeah, needs programming. If you only need a simple PLL-lock there's other options, too.

^^^

Hmm, doesn't that imply something programmable? ... :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, that _is_ the trick. If you don't deliver a device at the best possible cost, your competitor eventually will ;-)

Some of my clients retain me for exactly that reason. They know they get a cost efficient design and also one where the purchasers don't have to go on many wild goose chases to find stock.

Typically the fact that a similar machine is going to be available for less cost is not known until a major trade show. And then it's definitely too late to react. Way too late.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

circuitry.

Sure, you could. But the question is will it be good enough and low enough in cost? I've been somewhat involved in a membrane type custom chip although the membrane was used to measure displacement, not to oscillate. That is not exactly a low cost field.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

--
Sometimes mine are, sometimes they aren't. ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Currently most of mine are in neatly labeled bins :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

--
Hadn't thought about that; so are mine, :-)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

It's an LTC6930CMS8-8.00, in the MSOP8 package. It's basically an 8 MHz oscillator with three pins that can be strapped to divide by 1 through 128. Frequency is +-0.09% at room temp, plenty good for UARTS and most timing apps.

John

That's not quite true, since it can only divide by 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32,
64, or 128 depending on the settings of the DIV pins, as shown on page
10 of:

http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/6930fb.pdf

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Don't be a PITA.

John

of

Don't be such a prissy asshole. ...Jim Thompson

The first sign of senility is persistently trying to be an asshole

The second sign of senility is touting your company's wonderful
circuit designs as your own, while posting amateur crap on S.E.D

The third sign is acting like Polly Prissypants :-)

That's a DFN, not SOT-23. D/QFNs suck, though sadly there isn't often much choice. Since it's only a binary selection it's not all that much use, either.

Wrong frequency for a baud-rate-generator. If you have to add logic for the baud-rate-generator, the binary divider chain doesn't help much.

Reply to
krw

We're buying the MSOP-8, as noted, which isn't a DFN.

I did say "SOT-23 sized", which an MSOP8 pretty much is. I was at home when I first mentioned the part and didn't have the exact LTC part number handy.

D/QFNs suck, though sadly there isn't often much

We use it to clock uPs and FPGAs. They most always have an internal, programmable PLL to bump the clock up to 20 or 100 or 240 MHz, whatever works. We're currently doing a VME module that has 64 (sixty-four!) latching relays on board, with an FPGA doing all the logic. An 8 MHz silicon clock is fine for that.

We rarely use standalone chips like uarts. Most uPs have several these days, and we can always plop more into an FPGA.

John

of

Which makes the divider redundant. My point.

Right, which is why I questioned your statement above. .1% isn't all that great. I can't remember when I didn't already have something in the system better than that. The fewer oscillators the better.

Reply to
krw

of

I guess daylight savings time has made a lot of people bitchy today.

John

probability of

Bitchy? I just don't understand your reasoning. I usually do.

Reply to
krw

probability of

to a

OK, the reasoning is:

A silicon oscillator in an MSOP-8 has advantages over a crystal oscillator in lots of applications... cost, size, power consumption. We are now using an 8 MHz part because it works in a number of applications. We'll probably use others in the future, too.

John

probability of

to a

the

Doesn't it bother you that you're using circuits that I had, at very least, a hand in designing ?:-)

Which, of my many brands, are you suing ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

probability of

to a

the

Maybe you're "suing", but I meant "using" :-) ...Jim Thompson

The values in that data sheet are for a 32Khz tuning fork cut crystal. Not the same at all as the 2.048 Mhz AT cut crystals in the op.

I'd try something like 22pf for the caps, 1-10 Meg for the DC feedback resistor, and 47-100K for the drive limiter resistor.

Randomly