basic synthesizer circuit

I am just starting with idea to design a digitally controlled analogue synthesizer

does anyone have basic analogue synthesizer circuits to get me going with breadboard design?

Reply to
messianic light

Have you tried this?

-- Joe

Reply to
J.A. Legris

Tell us what kind of frequency ranges you'd like to cover, if you just need a sine wave output or modulation or other waveforms, etc...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I am only just learning about synthesisers apparently there is sinewave, sawtooth and squarewave plus others you may know of I am looking for a simple circuit to start off with to produce a range of sounds that I can build on once I understand them I am more proficient at digital electronics than analogue electronics

thanks for all the quick replies any more help would be greatly appreciated

Reply to
messianic light

Have a look here for some circuits:

If you can find a copy, try to get a hold of the book "Musical Applications of Microprocessors" by Hal Chamberlin - copies show up on Ebay from time to time. Though it's a couple decades old, the book has lots of analog synth circuits, and most importantly good explanations of exactly how the circuits work.

Reply to
Bitrex

The Theremin comes to mind...

Reply to
Robert Baer

There was an excellent series called "Electronotes" published by a physicist named Bernie Hutchings back in the 1980's that you might be able to dig up somewhere. It was a treasure trove of synthesizer theory and practical circuit examples of VCOs, VCFs, VCAs, ADSR EGs etc.

Reply to
Bob

need a

Well. It turns out he's still in business here:

and I misspelled his name. It's Bernie Hutchins and he's a recently retired EE prof from Cornell. Some of his stuff is pretty old, but analog synthesis hasn't really changed that much.

Reply to
Bob

e:

com...

logue

ing

just need a

ou

nge

cs

..

has

of

ms.com/

thanks for all the help, I'll get round to it all sometime

Reply to
messianic light

e:

com...

logue

ing

just need a

ou

nge

cs

..

has

of

ms.com/

WOW!!! Thanks for posting that URL. Nice site.

Reply to
Ron M.