Canon Bubble-jet printers

I've tried it and failed. I need to use astigmatism correcting reading glasses. However, with a magnifier, the dots are visible.

Nope. Most ink cartridges now include a chip that counts the number of pages printed. I call this a "refill prevention" or "profit protection" feature. If I fill the color carts with water in order to be allowed to print in black, the printer will eventually hit some page count limit and declare the cartridge to be "empty". Extra credit to HP for designing some of their printers to also check for the cartridge expiration date and declare it to be "past its useful life" even though it might be full of ink. However, in HP's benevolence and generosity, they have changed this to an advisory message than can be bypassed after decoding a cryptic hex error message and repeatedly performing a button pushing bypass ritual:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Cursitor Doom wrote in news:q6tqjp$u80$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It is because they are opaques, so black can also be obtained by mixing all three colors. Definitely so for laser toner. Is inkjet ink an additive or subtractive color mixing schema?

You think it is for some magical print job/printer id tag/ Nope.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

At least in the UK for some inkjet cartridges you can buy fake chips or zappers that make them lie about pages printed depending on the model. We also led the world in chipped region free DVD players. (there is a fair demand for playing US region coded disks)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

In college (about 1970), I ran the student government print shop. For equipment, we had some chronically malfunctioning printing machines. The best of the bunch was a Gestetner mimeograph and stencil cutter. Least reliable and lowest quality was a Ditto spirit duplicator. Nobody really liked it, but it was tolerated because the stench was also useful for clearing the office of visitors. The original duplicators used an isopropanol and methanol mix. The newer machines used trichlorofluoromethane, ethyl alcohol, methyl alcohol, and probably some perfume to hide the stench and some color dye.

"HOW TO USE A 1960s DITTO MACHINE MIMEOGRAPH SPIRIT DUPLICATOR PHOTOCOPIER 43624" (13:38)

Later, I bought a failing copy and print shop where I was instrumental in accelerating its demise. It was mostly ancient A.B. Dick offset presses. These were quite reliable, but needed constant attention and cleaning.

So much for nostalgia.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I remember the smell (which I liked) of a spirit duplicator (maybe it made ghost copies?) from junior school in the early 1950s. But I don't remember any brands or recipes...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

We had one, not on contract with Xerox. Ink cost was silly. Under contract Xerox supplied the ink but it wasn't cheap per page. It might have been com petitive once, but certainly not 5 or so years ago when we had one. Making wax block inks & selling some wasn't expected to be worth the time so we di dn't and it went. No-one wanted to collect it even for free.

not a problem for us

which greatly limited its usefulness. The only thing the prints were durabl e enough for was presentations.

le.

no it's not :)

Well I'm talking about B&W.

It's an inkjet. With no numbers the claim means nothing. What litle numbers they provide aren't encouraging. Looks like a last gasp attempt to bs peop le into buying inkjets.

There's a 2200 here that makes gear grinding noises, probably from the back . I've not opened it up yet.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks you for this detailed report. The magazine tested also a Brother multifunctional, the DCP-L2550DW. The toner cartridge TN2420 (at Brother prices) is 116 for 3000 pages, so 3+ cents/ page. The drum 115/12000 pages, so 0.9 ct/page. Non-original toner from a reputable webshop is 48/3300 pages, so 1.4 ct/page. This is in line with the $0.0200/page you calculated. Note that the Epson was at 0,28 ct/page including maintanace kit, compared to the Brother's 3.9 ct, both official prices. For a laser a

3rd party toner is less critical than for a inkjet, I think.

Indeed most costs are toner and paper, mostly toner. My HP colorlok paper for the inkjet is 3.3/500 pages, thus 0.67 ct/page.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Reply to
Mat Nieuwenhoven