Lab.Oven

Hi,

Can anyone recommed an affordable Lab. oven to test the printed circuit boards in different temparature ranges. I am also trying to encapsulate the printed circuit boards into thermal conductive epoxy and heat the board for atleast an hour to dry the epoxy.

Thanks John

Reply to
john

Harbor Freight sells a small powder coat oven with a digital temperature control that might be what you need. It has a digital temperature controller, and a fan to pull fumes out of the cabinet.

Michael A. Terrell

Hmm.. what's affordable?

Used lab ovens for reasonable prices (a few hundred dollars up), in various conditions, can be found on ebay. If you need an environmental chamber that will cover something like -40C to 150C, you'll need one with refrigeration. Different (less desirable) refrigerants are required to get to very low temperatures like -55C. Humidity is another popular variable to control and it doesn't add much to the cost. A really useful feature is vacuum (high altitude testing etc), but that increases the cost considerably. If you want to run tests with the boards powered, make sure there is a convenient way to get test cables out. Not all ovens have this feature. One way is to have a hole with a silicone rubber bung in it. A light and non-fogging window is handy.

A new one with everything but vacuum would probably run around $10K-15K and up, depending on size etc.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Where are you? I'm in the Portland OR area. I have an American Scientific DX-60 oven I don't need and will sell reasonably cheap. Room to 300°C (no cooling). Inside dimensions

23"w x 19"h x 20"d. 120V 60Hz. Art
Reply to
Artemus

^^^^^^^^^ This is an important thing to check.. many of the larger ones you might get cheap on eBay require 3-phase power, so check the voltage and type of power required, and the current rating. The one I bought recently uses 3-phase 208 and we had to run a new circuit for it ($$#$ industrial elecricians seem to charge by the phase).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I got a call today from a company that just moved into a bigger biuilding. The old location had both three phase and single. Some of their tools are 240 V, and the new location only has 208 ephase on the production floor. The couple 240 V tools run, but don't ave enough torque to do what they used to breeze through. I'm going to have to find some boost transformers, or run single phase from the office area.

Michael A. Terrell

"john" a écrit :

For curing epoxy I built a very cheap oven with extruded polystyrene foam covered with mylar sheets inside (aluminium sheet could also be used). Heating source was a simple incandescent bulb. Plus a cheap digital thermometer purchased on Ebay. The oven could reach about 90-95°C with a 100W (or 75W dont remember) lamp.

Reply to
PovTruffe

Art - I am also in the Portland, OR area and am interested in what you have. Please contact me at snipped-for-privacy@squires.com.

Thanks -bill