Can brain damaged Canadians design electronics?

Joy, hitting him in the head the the Motel phone wasn't very 'moral' ;-)

That is an oldie!

I knew that he was a 'Street Magician'.

Michael A. Terrell

Ah, I must apologize; apparently a street magician:

And, "Bad Hat Harry" has nothing to do with him:

D Yuniskis

Or hitting him with the car, etc. But, the ending was always "tidy" :-(

Yes. Yet, there are probably more "memorable scenes/line" from that (IME) than any other series.

Unfortunately, it suffered the inevitable fate of any such show that tries to "linger" -- getting more and more outrageous/implausible with each episode. And, given how over-the-top it was when it *started*... :<

I think the only such series that didn't overstay its welcome was The Lost Room. Obviously, the creators set up the plot intending for a *long* run ("100 objects in the room" -- gee, what a curious number! why not 37? or, 45??). Six episodes wasn't enough. Ten would probably have been too many. :-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I'm not familar with that series, and for some reason, this computer recently stopped letting me access most websites. It's propably another dying motherboard, since I use my oldest equipment to access newsgroups.

Michael A. Terrell

Hard to describe it -- though it was "different". Available on DVD.

Firefly (and the followup movie, Serenity) are also good for rotting brain cells.

Jericho was too long -- yet cut too short. The 4400 was also.

It must be a really challenging business to be in -- coming up with stories that you can "milk" for many episodes; yet be able to bring to an "appropriate" conclusion (in spite of marketing pressures)

I don't watch "TV" (CATV or broadcast) so I'm at the mercy of whatever I stumble across... :>

Reply to
D Yuniskis

You should check out "Babylon 5" if you want good science fiction that engages the ol' brain cells. Just one warning - start with the pilot, and watch in order. If you get through the first half of the first season, you will be hooked, and have to watch the other four seasons!

And then watch it again, just to see all the set ups that you didn't notice the first time!

And then again, to get the little scenes that don't seem important at the time, but are vital at the end!!!!

It is a very dangerouse series... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I have less than 20 channels, mostly local network and independants. Mostly for the news & weather reports, but I mave it on some eveinings for an hour or two while at the computer. I listen, more than watch.

Michael A. Terrell

Sounds like you miss Canada.

Michael A. Terrell

I watched the first series, then never saw any of the rest.

Michael A. Terrell

No, he sounds like Miss Canada.

Reply to
krw

Ha! I think we may have *4*? :>

I bring home DVDs from the library and set them playing while I work. As you, I listen more than watch -- unless something sounds particularly interesting.

OTOH, things like SOAP make it very hard for me to get any work done (so I rarely drag it out!) as I can too easily key in on a scene that I know to have been funny, etc.

The Lost Room was one of those that "annoyed me" by distracting me too much while I was trying to work ;-)

Many others (e.g., The 4400) I just wanted to get *through* and be done with (so *cursed* the fact that there were so many episodes).

Another "unavoidable distractor" is Road Runner cartoons. Brought some home a few weeks ago and spent the evening laughing out loud.

(sigh) I feel sorry for today's kids as what they have to watch looks like total drivel. (I plan on bringing several RR episodes with me on my next visit home to turn my niece and nephew on to this. And *quiz* them as to what they *think* will "happen next" -- and watch their reactions when they are surprised by the defiance of logic that ensues)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

I wonder if he can hold up the strapless dress for the contest?

Michael A. Terrell

Did you ever see the 'Road Runner Movie'? They took the classic chase seens from lots of Road Runner cartoons and splced them together with new footage.

Give them a real treat and show them all the 'Three Stooges' shorts. :)

Michael A. Terrell

Ah, no, I don't think so. I have been searching for a particular episode, though, which is basically *one* long "Coyote on his way to the inevitable SPLAT". Not quite as funny as some of the episodes full of "shorts" (I particularly enjoy the catapult scenes), but good because you never are quite sure when the end (and The End) will come.

Yeah, but there;s no real thinking involved, there. RR was good because it got you expecting one thing -- then twisted the rules of the universe and came up with something

*different* (e.g., when a mountain falls away instead of the cliff that "broke off" from it). Hopefully, forces (encourages) them to think, "OK, so *that's* how the coyote got screwed. *Could* that be possible? Why not?" (i.e., encourage thinking outside the box instead of the conformal thinking that the cartoon spoofs)

Besides, after a while, face slapping and eye poking gets to be pretty "old". :-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Then it's time for some Laurel and Hardy! ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

From his recent postings, it would appear to be a good possibility. :(

Michael A. Terrell

Has heat brought on a stroke?

RL

Reply to
legg

together

How about some Buster Keaton while you are at it?

Reply to
JosephKK

Sure, if you've got some. I've never seen any on tape or DVD though.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Mr. Michael A. Terrell, it looks like you've found yourself a new whipping boy. It doesn't reflect well on you.

Reply to
gearhead