Can cold weather damage electronics components and circuit boards?

During the winter season, outside temperatures can go down to 10 degrees Farenheit or lower.

Since many people carry their laptop computers to and from work each day, I was wondering whether exposure to cold temperatures can damage computer components or circuit boards.

My guess is that 10 degrees F is probably not cold enough to cause damage, and that any temperature-related damage is probably caused by too rapid a change in temperature (cracking as a result of expansion and contraction).

Am I correct on this?

If 10 degrees F is not cold enough, how cold would it have to be for damage to occur?

Reply to
wylbur37

It is more a question of water condensation on traces and components and even into components via capillary action when the kit is brought indoors to warm air, plus mechanical problems again more to do with condensation

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
N Cook

"N Cook" wrote in news:eq784m$4cc$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl:

I bet the LCD displays don't like very cold temps.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

A common failure mode for numeric display LCDs is bleeding-over so whole areas go "black" rather than just the segments. I've never found out what causes that - freezing ?

N Cook

"N Cook" wrote in news:eqap3g$kul$ snipped-for-privacy@inews.gazeta.pl:

I've seen LCD displays in -hot- temps go black.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

by

what

A common factor I found was they were left unused/stored for some time indoors, not in sheds, so i find it difficult to believe it is due to heat or cold

N Cook

Most semiconductors have storage temperature ratings of -65 C. That indicates that there would be no damage down to that point. However, the designer probably anticipated a narrower range of operating temperatures.

The characteristics of the semiconductors (and some passive components) change with temperature so there could be performance failure at temperatures below the design goals. Such a failure is unlikely to be catastrophic but all bets are off beyond the design limits.

Dig out the manual that came with the computer and see what it specifies for operating temperature range. To be safe, turn the unit off if it is going to be exposed to temperatures outside that range.

JMHO

John

Reply to
John Bachman