Can a cell phone set off a car alarm?

I had one put in my wife's previous car. When it was cold ( Ever since I've heard of such a thing, whether in a car or in an

RPM.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I don't ever recall getting flooded with my fuel injected engines.

Its all programming. Mine has a limited amount of tries before it stops. I don't think I have seen much cold weather in Pittsburgh lately. It hardly ever goes below zero anymore. The keep warm feature is nice, never used it. It runs the engine ever once in a while to keep it somewhat warm. I like the stay on feature, while you take the keys and run into the store. Great for cold or hot days. I seriously think not many who have remote start, ever want to go back.

There are several ways.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I have, many times. There is a reason they emulate the choke butterfly when you put your foot all of the way to the floor (cut off fuel). Too bad the starters don't know enough to use this trick. :-(

SMOP. You wouldn't be a hardware designer, would you? ;-)

Yep. ...and by that point the battery is flat and the engine is

*seriously* flooded.

Well, there ya' go. Try it at -20F and below and report back (why bother if it's such a warm day?). It did work about half the time (the half I was still home in the morning). I finally convinced her that she had to actually *watch* the car until it started and be prepared to run out and shut it down if it didn't start the

*first* time (kinda limited the utility). I fixed the problem by selling the car. She doesn't even want one on this car.

An in dead-dead battery/flooded engine. That's a *BAD* idea. If it's that cold use a tank heater.

Count two here. When it worked it was great. When it didn't it was a PITA. It's a lot less work running out to start a car than it is to dry out a flooded one and still make it to work. BTW, there was no taking the plugs out of that car at -20F either. One had to wait for "warm" (say 10F-20F) weather.

All are used too. The damned things still screw up.

--
  Keith
Reply to

My remote starter actually has better control of starting than me. In the morning, the remote activates the electronics first and hesitates. When I do it, it often fails on the first try, sputters, and I often get a starter squeel when things start fouling up. The only trouble I've had, well I just replaced the fuel pump, $475, and last winter I had to replace the starter. Had bad brushes. Would fail when real cold and got worse as time went on.

93 Dakota.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Yep, that's why I won't have it installed in my car. Just the Saturn door opener is enough for me.

Best---- Ron

Reply to
Ron Gould

no

the

I doubt that you're that stupid. How many times have you attempted to start a car at -20F? -30F? Starting a car at 20F is easy.

You're not used to starting cars in the cold. One *ALWAYS* turns the key to the "ignition" position for a second or two before turning it to the "start" position. That was drilled into me long before I moved to Vermont. One just doesn't treat cars that way.

Grinding the ring-gear, eh? That's pretty stupid.

You just said you don't have winter. Things change drastically with decreasing temperature (batteries lose half their charge for every 10C, but need twice as much to crank the engine).

Fortunately it doesn't get hot here so batteries actually last longer than they do in the heat (like AZ).

--
  KEith
Reply to

or as soon as the engine is turning faster than the starter can spin it, a reluctor pickup on the ring gear could detect that after in a few degrees of crank rotation.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Rather than a mb phone - which is still possible because they can put out heaps of interference when they power up are even during normal operation. AFAIK, Mobile phones are one of the few devices that are allowed to walk over other bands for a 'very short period'.

The other option is some local FM transmitter for paging is putting out spurious harmonics, have been involved with paging systems for a few years and seen similar interference problems.

What I'd suggest is confirm the frequency your alarm is operating on and speak to regional FCC or equivalent body investigating and make complaint. Over here in Western Australia it doesnt cost anything and they might well send a truck to your area some time to checkout any local interference. Over here the Australia Communications Authority (ACA) has powers to enter premises and seize interfering equipment without a warrant or even notification etc, Though the ACA has these powers by virtue of securities act I believe they rarely use them to their full extent - which is a good thing I guess unless the interference is reall serious, ie Aircraft, Medical etc

--
Regards
Mike

Ener since I've heard of such a thing I've wondered: Who the F*** needs one, and what for?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

I presume it's so your car can de-frost/de-mist itself without you having to actually go outside. Do these remote starters also set the heater and fan appropriately for this purpose?

Tim

--
Did I really still have that sig?
Reply to

On Wed, 24 May 2006 14:10:50 +0100, Tim Auton wrote in Msg.

Seems superfluous. And an idling engine takes forever to warm up. And here in Germany it's illegal anyway to leave your car sitting in idle (and I'm damn glad about it).

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

It has not passed much below 0 degrees for at least 10 years now. The only time recall it being about -15 was in the 60's.

One of the really neat things about the starter is safety. Safe, as in walking toward your car, you can start it if strange people are approaching. They might not do anything with the lock beep, but knowing someone may be nearby, is a good deterant. I also use my starter to hear where its parked. I also have the headlights connected to it before it starts, and as long as its running for the 7 minuites.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Actually, I was thinking mainly of the genset out in the back, like at a hospital or something, that starts itself automatically when there's a power failure. I'd think with one in the car, you could hear it start and take your finger off the button like you do with the key.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

wrote

was

Yes, you've said that. Above zero it doesn't take a rocket-surgeon to start a car. Even a stupid PIC could do it. At -20F things change. OTOH, (as I've said) why bother with a remote starter if it never gets cold?

A .357 impresses more.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Seems living is illegal in Europe. Having fun certainly is.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Remote-starting your car is your idea of fun? You mustn't get out much.

Tim

--
Did I really still have that sig?
Reply to
Tim Auton

I don't think the OP said if the alarm goes off when calling that phone. It would be nice to hear that.

I wanted to see if I could trip some timming equipment with an FM tranceiver. I thought that the FM would be better at not fouling up the logic. It did upset the logic. I'm sure there were diodes that had rectified the signal. It was a Collins Logic machine. Loved it when all the companies had their own logic. How about General Dynamics Dynamic Logic. (pulse or no pulse) Xerox Logic, DEC Logic...

greg

Reply to
GregS

Idling (for too long a period) is what's illegal (also illegal in most US states, although laws are generally aimed at large trucks).

Idling your engine is really not much fun, especially compared to "fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn".

"It hurts my motor to go so slow"

-- James Taylor

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I spend at least one hour setting in traffic every day, and getting 12 MPG. So much for no idling. I agree, idling is no fun. I guess the electric car is the answer.

greg

Reply to
GregS

On Thu, 25 May 2006 11:01:07 -0400, Spehro Pefhany wrote: ...

Google translates this to: "fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n on the motorway".

Is "fahr'n" dirty or something? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise