Wiring a car alarm to be connected to a computer ....

Dear All, I would like to know what would be the best way to connect a car alarm to a computer so that anything triggered can be sent to the computer. I know that I should use the serial port of the system to do this, but I also know that I may need a circuit board to wire everything up. Any suggestions on what I can do? Sincerely, Christopher Koeber

Reply to
c_koeber

Is the computer IN the car?

The thieves will just steal it too :-)

Or are you looking for an RF link to your PC inside the house?

...Jim Thompson

A lot depends on what kind of outputs are available from your alarm, and what kind of inputs you have available on the laptop, or can be installed. If you're talking about "what event caused the alarm", that's a whole different animal, and is probably a fairly major design project, but it could be as simple as picking up a handful of switch closures.

We need more information! :-)

I wonder what ever happened to the "car alarms" that didn't actually sound an alarm, but let the thief take the car, and then a minute or so later hit the fuel cut-off switch under the hood. The thief thinks he's getting away with it, until the car quits in the middle of an intersection somewhere. You'd probably get the car back without too much damage, as long as people notice that your car is just sitting there, and can react fast enough to not hit it. (People don't really _like_ to crash their car into things.) It would certainly put a damper on high-speed chases! He runs away? Just run his prints and either get him on priors or get him next time. But you got the car back, which is really the important part, isn't it? :-)

This could be integrated with data logging, possibly a car-cam, and an RF link to somewhere - maybe a spare cell phone on auto-dial....

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Reply to
Christopher Koeber

Rich Grise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@example.net:

Then there are the theives that only strip the car of the parts they want,as what happened to my Intrgra GSR. They didn't bother to TAKE the car,just removed what they wanted.

These days,they strip them right in the parking lot. Wheels,seats,engine control module(ECU),headlights....

One dealer here had thieves strip an entire Integra VTEC engine/transaxle out of a car on their lot -fronting a major highway-. (SR436,Winter Park,Florida.)

"Hide" your laptop and they will probably get that,too.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Now that you mention it, I once had four beautiful deep-dish aluminum mags taken off a car that was in a parking lot, but I had left it there that night and gotten a ride home (think "designated driver", which wasn't me), and when I went back to get the car, at least the thieves had had the common decency to put it up on blocks, so that the brake drums weren't sitting in the dirt. Luckily, the rest of the car didn't have anything about it that was worth stealing. ;-) (1972 Ford E-100 van, 6-cyl inline, manual on the column (three on the tree), cheap cassette player, sexmobile conversion >:-> ) (I called it my "tall car". I got vanity plates: "RITCH"; It qualified as a car because it had "passenger seats" in the back - actually, much like a restaurant booth, that converted into a full-sized bed. It worked. ;-) ;-) ;-) )

Really, I had no idea that they were getting that audacious. I guess the moral to this story is, drive a clunker and you'll be safe. ;-)

Apparently so. =:-O

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise
221 481592 Path: news.easynews.com!en206!core-easynews!newsfeed2.easynews.com!easynews.com!easynews!newsfeed.news2me.com!headwall.stanford.edu!newshub.sdsu.edu!peer01.west.cox.net!cox.net!p01!fed1read01.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail From: Luhan Monat Reply-To: see snipped-for-privacy@bottom.xyz User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040803 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en MIME-Version: 1.0 Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design Subject: Intermittant Service Provide Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lines: 10 Message-ID: Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 11:52:18 -0700 NNTP-Posting-Host: 70.176.178.122 X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net X-Trace: fed1read01 1116701581 70.176.178.122 (Sat, 21 May 2005 14:53:01 EDT) NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 14:53:01 EDT Organization: Cox Communications Xref: core-easynews sci.electronics.design:481592
Reply to
Luhan Monat

Reply to
Christopher Koeber