Bust 2.0

Grin.. sorry James. You guys just seemed to be talking past each other. (Also later at night.. lotsa times I write a reply and then discard it.)

Well aren't they all man-made? (I guess if a big asteroid crashes into the earth that would be different.)

I remember some "pundits" at the time saying that 2008 was a bit different because it was a banking collapse which would take longer to recover from. (No one wants to risk whatever capitol they have.)

Sure it's OK... But I think our bigger problem is the lack of any middle ground in politics these days. (Each side talking in their own echo chamber, and demonizing the other.)

Back to electronics... I'm going to torture some of these CUI three terminal switch mode regulators.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't think that the economic state of the technology industry is off-topic here. It will affect what we design, or in some cases whether we design.

What do you plan for those poor little regulators?

lunatic fringe electronics

Sure, I don't really care what people talk about. They just seemed to be talking "past" each other. (I got frustrated.)

You mean torture-wise? Well no water boarding, :^)

I'll load 'em down till they flame out... or die gracefully. For the V7815-500, I can get an amp out of the thing.. case temperature goes to ~80 C and lots of ripple on the output.. ~100 mVp-p! I finally got it to thermally shutdown with an 11 ohm load. Case ~ 110 C. There was a weird hissing noise from the IC. (I didn't want to get too close.. but I let it hang out there for ~15 minutes and no smoke... just hissing.)

When used inverse (-15 out) It's got a hang state for a slowly rising input voltage for loads less than ~200 ohms or so. I thermally "broke" one of them when used in reverse... but I can't seem to make it happen again.

I want to try some output filters.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Might be current-limit shutdown/retry. That can hiss.

It sounds like it has a lot of personality, which most switchers do. Output short-circuit protection seems to be erratic with the cheaper parts.

We use a lot of LTM8023s, which are very quiet, reliable, well behaved, but relatively expensive.

The CUI PDS1 parts (isolated, nonregulated, dual out) seem to be good too.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's what it was.... I could see fast random turn on-off's on the 'scope.

Short circuit seemed to be OK... (tested ~10 times)

My filter was a massive fail. LC on the copper clad. (100 uH/ 20 uF) I only cut the ripple in half. Then I remembered what I'd heard about smps... "ground" bouncing around everywhere. So I stuck the filter out on the end.

I had two inductors to start, but the one on the ground line wasn't needed. (The pic shows two.) That cut it down to ~2mVp-p.. about the limit of the 'scope noise.

Well that would be OK, except for the package.

Yeah I like those too... (I never looked at the ripple)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Gold is up another 4% today. I prefer the ETF (GLD) since the commission is only $10 and it's more liquid than real gold. Real gold dealers will charge much higher commissions, maybe 7-10% each way, so the value has to increase

20% to break even. That's what they never tell you with those radio adds to buy gold.

Bill Bowden