Boycott Koch Brothers

feel free to quote where I claimed that

at least for once you admit you're merely presuming

Reply to
tabbypurr

e:

rote:

low mine.

people estimate most others as less intelligent than themselves most of the time.

Lots of people do. And far more have what appear to them to be good reasons , but aren't. It's nothing new. It's why teamwork is important.

n't a single skill and there's no evidence that whatever is being measured and touted as intelligence - essentially exam-passing capacity - is normall y distributed (in the sense of conforming to the Gaussian bell curve).

g capacity.

curve.

IQ is numbers assigned to various levels of intelligence, numbers chosen to fit a bell curve. It doesn't mean intelligence itself fits any bell curve. This is IQ 101 stuff, there's little point anyone debating it.

ing capacity, so administrators take it seriously, but nobody else needs to and most probably shouldn't.

More fool them.

would have known that there is real climate science (as published in peer reviewed journals) and denialist propaganda that's fed into any media outle t that is too cheapskate to do real science reporting. Asking for "evidence " that this has been going on for years is roughly like insisting that some body identifies Donald Trump as a contender for the Republican Party nomina tion as a presidential candidate.

dge of the world. He failed.

so you did. You're like anyone, you think your political POV is well though t out but it has too many holes in it to convince others. Don't let your eg o fool you into thinking otherwise.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

"We already know your opinion Bill. I don't intend to debate it now, there is no point. "

It's a remarkably plausible assumption.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ote:

below mine.

t people estimate most others as less intelligent than themselves most of t he time.

ns, but aren't. It's nothing new. It's why teamwork is important.

Knowing that you are smarter than most of your colleagues isn't any barrier to valuing their contributions. A lot of the work I did didn't require muc h intelligence, or experience but it was quicker to do it myself than to ta ke the time to package it up and pass it on to one of my junior colleagues

isn't a single skill and there's no evidence that whatever is being measure d and touted as intelligence - essentially exam-passing capacity - is norma lly distributed (in the sense of conforming to the Gaussian bell curve).

ing capacity.

ll curve.

Wrong. It's a number generated by "intelligence tests" which correlates - t o some extent - with the concept of intelligence. People knew what "intelli gent" meant long before there were intelligence tests.

its any bell curve. This is IQ 101 stuff, there's little point anyone debat ing it.

The point of debating it is to let you demonstrate that you weren't paying attention in that particular undergraduate class.

ssing capacity, so administrators take it seriously, but nobody else needs to and most probably shouldn't.

ou would have known that there is real climate science (as published in pee r reviewed journals) and denialist propaganda that's fed into any media out let that is too cheapskate to do real science reporting. Asking for "eviden ce" that this has been going on for years is roughly like insisting that so mebody identifies Donald Trump as a contender for the Republican Party nomi nation as a presidential candidate.

ledge of the world. He failed.

ght out but it has too many holes in it to convince others. Don't let your ego fool you into thinking otherwise.

This is your personal opinion - one that you can't support by adducing fact s or by linking to more or less authoratitive sources. I'm afraid that it's your ego that is on display here, and it looks to be enlarged with hot air .

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ople esimate most others as less intelligent than themselves most of the ti me.

Hmmmm. I usually assume that most people have about the same intelligence as myself. Some of that comes from going to schools where most of the kid s were as intelligent as myself. And working with a lot of intelligent peo ple.

And sometimes I have run into people that are obviously more intelligent th an I am. I remember going to a mixer at a girls college. There was a very attractive girl there that people kept cutting in while she was dancing. I timed how long she got to dance with someone. And as I remember it was l ess than a minute. So when I cut in, I asked her if she would like to sit down and have some punch. And she did. Found out she was only 16 or 17, a nd had already graduated from the University of Chicago. But her parents t hought she was too young to go to grad school. And then of course someone asked her to dance.

If you happen to have a reference to where you learned that most people est imate others as being less intelligent, I would appreciate it if you could tell me.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It must be wonderful to have your cheery disposition all the time, Blobby.

Reply to
krw

people esimate most others as less intelligent than themselves most of the time.

e as myself.

That would give you an IQ of 100, not the 140 which you seem to want to cla im, which would make you brighter than about 99% of the population - I've n ot bothered to look up the exact integral under the tail of the Gaussian di stribution, since example is illustrative rather than any kind of nprediuct ion.

intelligent as myself. And working with a lot of intelligent people.

I spent a couple of years at EMI Central Research, which had a lot in commo n with Bell Labs (though it was more directly comparable with RCA's researc h labs). This did bring home to me that there were lots of different ways o f being intelligent, some of them less useful than others.

Sir Godfrey Hounsfield who invented the brain scanner and got to be FRS and a Nobel Prize winner on the strength of it, wasn't one of the more useful ones when I was there. C.A.G. LeMay - the guy who invented the mathematical approach (back projection) that made the brain scanner practical, was acti vely dangerous, since his fertile mind wasn't constrained by any kind of co mmon sense. I did meet Bill Percival (the inventor, in 1936, of the distrib uted amplifier) who was still useful and mercifully free from any kind of s elf-importance.

than I am. I remember going to a mixer at a girls college. There was a ve ry attractive girl there that people kept cutting in while she was dancing. I timed how long she got to dance with someone. And as I remember it was less than a minute. So when I cut in, I asked her if she would like to si t down and have some punch. And she did. Found out she was only 16 or 17, and had already graduated from the University of Chicago. But her parents thought she was too young to go to grad school. And then of course someon e asked her to dance.

stimate others as being less intelligent, I would appreciate it if you coul d tell me.

It wasn't my assertion, and it doesn't fit with my experience - most of the people I've associated with didn't spend much time sorting people into pec king orders of various sorts, or if they did they didn't tell me about it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

thank you for confirming that I did not claim the facts don't matter

an assumption is all it is. And we all know what assumptions are. The whole green thing has been done to death. If you want to keep debating your inadequate argument that's for you, not me.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

n below mine.

ost people estimate most others as less intelligent than themselves most of the time.

sons, but aren't. It's nothing new. It's why teamwork is important.

er to valuing their contributions. A lot of the work I did didn't require m uch intelligence, or experience but it was quicker to do it myself than to take the time to package it up and pass it on to one of my junior colleague s

- isn't a single skill and there's no evidence that whatever is being measu red and touted as intelligence - essentially exam-passing capacity - is nor mally distributed (in the sense of conforming to the Gaussian bell curve).

ssing capacity.

bell curve.

to some extent - with the concept of intelligence.

yes, I think you knew what point was being made.

tests.

problem solving ability

fits any bell curve. This is IQ 101 stuff, there's little point anyone deb ating it.

g attention in that particular undergraduate class.

I've no interest in debating 101 stuff. Your point is not valid.

passing capacity, so administrators take it seriously, but nobody else need s to and most probably shouldn't.

you would have known that there is real climate science (as published in p eer reviewed journals) and denialist propaganda that's fed into any media o utlet that is too cheapskate to do real science reporting. Asking for "evid ence" that this has been going on for years is roughly like insisting that somebody identifies Donald Trump as a contender for the Republican Party no mination as a presidential candidate.

owledge of the world. He failed.

ought out but it has too many holes in it to convince others. Don't let you r ego fool you into thinking otherwise.

cts or by linking to more or less authoratitive sources. I'm afraid that it 's your ego that is on display here, and it looks to be enlarged with hot a ir.

Your ego continues its run.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

:

ion below mine.

most people estimate most others as less intelligent than themselves most of the time.

easons, but aren't. It's nothing new. It's why teamwork is important.

rier to valuing their contributions. A lot of the work I did didn't require much intelligence, or experience but it was quicker to do it myself than t o take the time to package it up and pass it on to one of my junior colleag ues

s - isn't a single skill and there's no evidence that whatever is being mea sured and touted as intelligence - essentially exam-passing capacity - is n ormally distributed (in the sense of conforming to the Gaussian bell curve) .

passing capacity.

e bell curve.

- to some extent - with the concept of intelligence.

But you don't seem to realise that it invalidates your point.

e tests.

lf fits any bell curve. This is IQ 101 stuff, there's little point anyone d ebating it.

ing attention in that particular undergraduate class.

Since you clearly weren't paying attention when that particular lecture was being given, I can understand your unwillingness to cope with the conseque nces.

m-passing capacity, so administrators take it seriously, but nobody else ne eds to and most probably shouldn't.

e, you would have known that there is real climate science (as published in peer reviewed journals) and denialist propaganda that's fed into any media outlet that is too cheapskate to do real science reporting. Asking for "ev idence" that this has been going on for years is roughly like insisting tha t somebody identifies Donald Trump as a contender for the Republican Party nomination as a presidential candidate.

knowledge of the world. He failed.

thought out but it has too many holes in it to convince others. Don't let y our ego fool you into thinking otherwise.

facts or by linking to more or less authoratitive sources. I'm afraid that it's your ego that is on display here, and it looks to be enlarged with hot air.

Nothing you've posted does anything other than make you look stupider. I'm well aware that my capacities are finite, but you aren't testing them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Right on!! It was not your assertion and I was not addressing you. I was addressing Tabb.... @ gmail.com.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

He probably hasn't got a pot to piss in, anyways.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

He Hoo?

Reply to
John S

Here's a few for you Fred.

No one could possibly be as stupid as you and still have enough brain stem to keep their heart beating.

I'm surprised someone as stupid as you manages to cross the road without getting run over.

Everyone's entitled to be stupid, But you're abusing the privilege.

Reply to
JW

:

te:

ation below mine.

at most people estimate most others as less intelligent than themselves mos t of the time.

reasons, but aren't. It's nothing new. It's why teamwork is important.

arrier to valuing their contributions. A lot of the work I did didn't requi re much intelligence, or experience but it was quicker to do it myself than to take the time to package it up and pass it on to one of my junior colle agues

sts - isn't a single skill and there's no evidence that whatever is being m easured and touted as intelligence - essentially exam-passing capacity - is normally distributed (in the sense of conforming to the Gaussian bell curv e).

m passing capacity.

the bell curve.

es - to some extent - with the concept of intelligence.

your point missed mine entirely

nce tests.

self fits any bell curve. This is IQ 101 stuff, there's little point anyone debating it.

aying attention in that particular undergraduate class.

as being given, I can understand your unwillingness to cope with the conseq uences.

blather & childishness without any real information. You might not realise this, but resorting endlessly to childishness makes you look childish. And guess what, it is childish.

xam-passing capacity, so administrators take it seriously, but nobody else needs to and most probably shouldn't.

are, you would have known that there is real climate science (as published in peer reviewed journals) and denialist propaganda that's fed into any med ia outlet that is too cheapskate to do real science reporting. Asking for " evidence" that this has been going on for years is roughly like insisting t hat somebody identifies Donald Trump as a contender for the Republican Part y nomination as a presidential candidate.

c knowledge of the world. He failed.

l thought out but it has too many holes in it to convince others. Don't let your ego fool you into thinking otherwise.

g facts or by linking to more or less authoratitive sources. I'm afraid tha t it's your ego that is on display here, and it looks to be enlarged with h ot air.

m well aware that my capacities are finite, but you aren't testing them.

No, I'm simply pointing out just how finite they are.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

We have never figured out what Fred does. He has said that electronic design is trivial and beneath his dignity.

I'm glad I don't have that much dignity. Electronics is fun.

lunatic fringe electronics

He seems to have got his anger issues under control, though. Many years ago he used to be rude, ignorant and extremely hostile. Nowadays he's no longer extremely hostile. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

No risk of that. He's not allowed outside the ahem, 'facility' unless accompanied by at least two orderlies.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I have never claimed that I had an IQ of 140, and do not wish to do so.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Fred Bloggs isn't stupid. Anybody who thinks that they can claim he is labeling themselves as having defective judgement. Nuts he may be, but not stupid.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to