Code Thieves to Professionally Avoid!

Thank you to Ainhoa Ortiz Delgado and Antonio Tejada Revilla, of the University of the Basque Country in Spain.

I would like to say how much I appreciate you removing my lawful copyright declaration on various original 8051 microcontroller source code files, conditionally downloaded from my website, and selfishly replacing it with your own.

I was so pleased to find that you not only claim responsibility for my copyrighted IP works, but that you feel justified in illegally re-publishing the desecrated works against my explicitly stated wishes.

etc., etc.

Good luck with you're 'professional' engineering careers, guys!

Reply to
Modafinil

Infinitives to Professionally Split!

ing

Desecrated? My G*d, how can they live? It's almost as if they were taking the name of Y*HW*H in vain! You can look down on them come Rapture time, because you'll be going up and they'll be staying below! I bet they even have the Mark of the Beast upon them! Hallelujah and PRAISE, I say PRAISE!

Good luck with that career in punctuation.

I don't recognize the new username (I assume it's the generic name of the antipsychotic drug that you forgot to take this morning), but I assume you're the freak who was whining that due to rampant evil, you would be taking down your website of little snippets of 8051 code.

Rod Speed, where are you when you're needed?

Reply to
larwe

Call their professor or their dean. European universities take plagiarism serious. I'm sure they will be glad to know what happened.

Cheers, Nils

Reply to
Nils

If the OP can prove authorship, the university will likely take it

*very* seriously. Proving authorship is, of course, the catch.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

You did not look at the code referenced.

nuff said.

Reply to
hamilton

Having looked at the referenced code listing and if the OP wants to claim it as his original then I would doubt his professionalism. I have seen school- kids produce better.

Paul E. Bennett...............
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E. Bennett

I could not agree more as it could be argued that his code is VERY similar to any number of other pieces of 4 bit parallel mode EXAMPLE routines used to demo any number of HD44780 lookalike LCD displays. I have seen similar code examples on many datasheets/application notes.

The code employs delay loops, not timers or other methods to make it useable in many real world applications.

Code would need changing for any format of display different to

16 x 2 and possibly special character sets.
    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

They usually come from China or Spain or Russia.

But look dont' despair, the opposite is also happening. We Western countries use thei rimmigrant brains while paying them LESS, e.g.

40% of Microsoft's best preoducts were coded by non-US born engineers.

So they stole your work. But many US comnpanies use THEIR work. It flows in both directions.

Try using "Keeloq" - a free tool for Microchip microcontrollers, in case you're writing for Microchip, or a similar encryptor.

I know it feels very very bad to sit & kill your health & eyes in front of a computer to write software, so some punk would steal it.

Don't publish source code anymore, LOCK your chips with Keeloq or similar.

Reply to
Sheik Quassam

Keeloq is a rolling-code encryption system designed to prevent replay attacks from keyfob type remote controls. It is not designed for protecting code contents. It has also been broken.

Reply to
larwe

Who cares about your trivial junk. Only idiots like you.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Thanks for the support, Sheik. You're cool!

Reply to
Modafanil

Ohh moy dorogoy russki durak Vot eto pochemu ya pokinul nashu stranu durakov.

Reply to
Sheik Quassam

I don't have to look at it.

In a copyright dispute the plaintiff has to prove a) that the work is their own or that they own or control the rights to it, and b) that the work was copied by the defendant (willful copying or not makes a difference in restitution but not to verdict).

To prove in court that the work is your own, you must have one or more of the following:

- witnesses to its creation

- a version history which leads to the finished work

- a larger work which has both proven authorship and which incorporates the disputed work

Without at least one of these, it is nearly impossible to prove authorship. The OP said nothing about any of this and a file on a web site is not proof of anything.

With a university, their plagiarism policy may be a lower bar to hurdle, but even so, their lawyers will have to be convinced to get any settlement beyond a private apology.

I don't know whether the OP's work was stolen or not. If it was, I sympathize and I hope the OP can get satisfaction. All I said was that it won't necessarily be easy.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

El 16/05/2010 15:02, Sheik Quassam escribió:

Last night Spain was a western country. Has something changed while I was sleeping?

Reply to
Ignacio G. T.

An interesting and informative post, George. Thanks for that.

Reply to
Modafanil

I wonder if

would considered to be sufficient proof. Even if it doesn't stand up in court it might be enough to convince the university to take the files off line.

Reply to
Dombo

I don't know how archive.org operates, but if they are independently mirroring or backing up the OP's site, and they possess copies dated prior to the univerity's earliest postings, then I suspect that would be sufficient.

IANAL George

Reply to
George Neuner

That was also what I was curious about. I wondered whether there wasn't some facility whereby a developer could inexpensively register ownership of copyrighted material, such that if it ever came to it, at least one could prove who got there first?

Reply to
Modafinil

Depends on where you live. For example in the Netherlands one can register (paper) documents for free at the tax authorities. This registration is sufficient for legal purposes (though I'm not sure how valid this is in a more international context). There are also several commercial parties that provide a similar service.

Reply to
Dombo

The isn't a perfect answer to that because there is a question as to whether posting online meets the legal definition of "publishing" as required under copyright law. A few progressive countries have amended their laws to take into account internet publishing, but most haven't yet addressed it.

If you're going to "publish" online and you're worried about copyrights, the best solution I can think of is to use one of the online code repositories and put absolutely EVERYTHING you post into CVS.

IANAL George

Reply to
George Neuner