Boris Johnson

Boris's ICU. (...which was the original thrust of the reply)

?More ventilators!? cried the journalists on Twitter. ? ??Yes, more ventilators!? replied the politicians. ?Where are the venti lators?? demanded the journalists, now screaming on television. ?Yes, even more!? replied the government, somewhat nonsensically.

I am a critical care physician, specializing in the use of such machines. I?m flattered by all the attention our tools are receivin g. But I fear the current clamor reminds me of nothing so much as the panic buyers of toilet-paper stampeding over each other in early March. When the history of the COVID-19 pandemic in the Western world is written, I do not believe ?massive ramp-up of ventilator manufacturing,? will be credited with our deliverance.

...[I]n the case of COVID-19, the preliminary outcome data is rather dismal. On Monday, the New England Journal of Medicine published a case series of very ill COVID-19 patients in Seattle with data up to March 23: of the 20 patients who went on a ventilator, only four had so far escaped the hospital alive. Nine had died. Three remained in suspended animation, going on three or four weeks of ventilation. Four escaped the ventilator but remained in hospital.

...To put it simply, we do not know how many lives ventilators could or will save. It seems that at least two-thirds of attempts to stave off death with their use will fail in the short term. Of the remaining third, we do not know how many will be successful in the medium or long term."

hp

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

When did China stop seizing the entire production for their own use? 3M can only ship Chinese made products to where China grants the permits. That 's the problem with globalization. you are at the mercy of the local thugge ry and their on the fly decisions. I'd like to see you force the Chinese go vernment to release what you've ordered when they have seized it, and paid the OEM their wholesale price.

China buys boatloads of used Corrugated Paper Boxes to recycle. I bought a small air compressor a couple years ago. They had glued a new layer on t op of pieces cut from larger boxes, rather than make new corrugated paper.

The used paper gets shipped there on empty cargo ships returning from de liveries around the world.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

The Chinese never had the requirements displayed by the US. As a nation, it's per-capita requirement for PPE was never more than 1/20 that of the present US demand.

China exports anywhere that their products are accepted.

It was 3M doing the 'redirecting' of PPE shipments.

RL

Reply to
legg

You can't make PPE from recycled cardboard, or newspaper. Cardboard and newspaper is largely ground-wood (think construction paper, from Kindergarden)and binder.

Filtering PPE draws heavily on virgin 'sulphite' bales. Requires heavy chemical processing and post processing for fibre length and 'wet-strength'.

RL

Reply to
legg

Absolute filters are often made by dissolving polyethersulphone or polyphenyleneethersulphone in an organic solvent such as NMP and adding water, which makes it into a very uniform foam that can be cast into all sorts of shapes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There's an article in today's paper about making masks. One cuts up old t-shirts. My favorite is made from a bandana and a coffee filter.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Fauci just said that africans aren't infected at higher rates but have worse outcomes. Other sources claim they have higher infection rates too. Racism is of course blamed for both effects.

Blood type seems to matter too. Of course there are biological differences in suceptability; it would be criminal to insist otherwise. Some people can't get HIV. My wife gets colds and I don't.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I read an agitated article this morning about black people in Chicago, I believe it was, dying at three times their portion of the population.

A few paragraphs down, it's reported they also have three times the infection rate, which did nothing to alter the author's premise.

WuFlu is racist.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I got a couple of N99s plus refills back at the end of February.

They survive being sprayed with diluted bleach just fine. I gave one of them to our world traveller, in case she hadn't had Wu 'flu yet.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ght a small air compressor a couple years ago. They had glued a new layer o n top of pieces cut from larger boxes, rather than make new corrugated pape r.

deliveries around the world.

I found this current article by the modern N-95 mask's electret filtration's inventor useful:

o Contact with alcohol ruins the electret.

o A set of masks can also be re-used in rotation, if each is allowed to rest long enough between uses for any pathogens to degrade.

Good info on masks in general, homemade masks, references, etc.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

working". Now they say he is in the ICU. I hope he can get a ventilator if he needs one. What if they run out just before they make that decision?

ventilators was "our stockpile", not for the states. What else is there i n this country but the states? Oh, yeah, there are 50 states, Washington, D.C., a few territories and the Trump dynasty. So the federal stockpile of medical equipment is for the Trump dynasty.

So...Boris calls the queen and says 'I got the virus, what now?' and the qu een responds, "Go cough on Trump!"

Reply to
three_jeeps

I believe that people of non-european descent are not adapted to our diet of sugary drinks and donuts and ice cream and cheseburgers. It shows especially in Pacific Islanders and native Americans. Asians seem to do better eating our junk food.

Obesity and diabetes are more common african-americans. That certainly changes outcomes.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Can't these things be sanitized by liberal application of time? I'm told on smooth surfaces the virus may last as long as 72 hours. Surfaces like cardboard it survives only 24 hours.

So laying the mask aside for a day should do a pretty good job of mitigating the risk of reuse.

That's how I cleanse my groceries. I put the cans in the pantry for a few days before use. I let the cardboard boxes sit over night. I wash my hands and face after returning from the store and putting the food away.

Has anyone said diluted bleach will even do anything against this virus? Bleach isn't a cure all necessarily.

--

  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Dilute bleach is the general purpose disinfectant for walls, floors etc. recommended by the Chinese in their hospitals. 1000mg/l, so about 50:1 from 5.25% bleach. They recommend leaving it for 30 minutes.

For higher levels of contamination, more like 10:1.

And for the most critical stuff, peroxyacetic acid, followed by ethylene oxide sterilization.

I thought I read that Russians were using something other than bleach in the aid they sent to Italy to clean retirement homes and such like.

Personally, I'm using 10:1 bleach spray for incoming mail, boxes and such like. Soap and water for other things. And a timed temperature-ozone treatment for other things.

We're looking at doing something on a more industrial scale, with a different approach.

-- Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
speff

There's the key, 30 minutes. Very few people do that. Like the shopping cart handles, spray, wipe without hesitation.

What happened to 30 seconds of alcohol?

I'm happy with the 24 hour treatment. No bleach, no soap and the alcohol stays in my glass.

That reminds me. I'm ready for some more of my cure-all, anti-virus treatment, Basil Hayden. It works best internally. It also has a lot fewer side effects than hydroxychloroquine.

--

  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Indirectly. If you are visibly of African descent in the US you are less well-off. Poverty is the direct cause. Racism - some of it racism acting on previous generation - is the root cause of the poverty.

A very few people can't get HIV. There's a lot of genetic variation between individual, not a lot between races, and even less between coloured and non-coloured residents of the US.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

My advice would be to use Glen Talloch, for internal treatment. Available in 1.5 Liter glass containers.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

When they stopped needing it.

Such a strategy seems problematic, are you sure it was used pasper, and not new misprints or other factory waste

Crushed into bales I doubt that it can be reused for anythiong other than making pulp, or perhaps shredded as packing material if it can be sterilised properly.

--
  Jasen.
Reply to

The virus is quite a fragile thing which is why they are so strongly recommending *WASH YOUR HANDS* and don't touch your face as important countermeasures for the public to take. Soap and warm water kills it pretty quickly so I'd expect most surfactants or anything mildly caustic at pH8 or above would work too. Stripping your skin oils isn't wise.

Soap is less damaging to our skin than most other alternatives:

Note that he says plain old soap and water is considerably more effective than the alcohol hand sanitiser gels that are so hard to find.

I wonder how many people will come out of this coronavirus lockdown crisis with an OCD handwashing disorder afterwards.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

My mother, for a start. Although things do tend to get through after several repetitions.

Reply to
Tom Gardner