SMT-on-copper-clad

Using "surfboards" to mount about a half-dozen SMT cmos logic to a copper clad, how many by-pass/de-glitcher caps do you put on and where do you put them when you use this "style"? frequencies in the 10s of MHz. Do you put one on each chip (seems like overkill) or do you bypass at the power input and rely on distributed capacitance of the board?

Reply to
bitrex

All these worked:

For fast stuff, I like to run two wires from chip ground to the PCB plane, and add a cap on the proto board if possible, or another two wires to a bypassed power island. Surfmount caps can go sideways sometimes, between the main board and the adapter. Or use a short fat axial ceramic cap from the surfboard to the copper plane.

I have made some of my own adapter boards with really close bypass caps, for oddballs like US8.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Is that an ECL xor for fast phase detector, there? Very fast phase detector

74VHC seems pretty happy with a bypass cap across every 2nd or 3rd chip and the grounds tacked to the copper-clad with short jumper interconnects up to about 40-50MHz, don't have to be super-precise other than the scope probe connections to catch the edges. a 3" ground clip and the edges look like slop past about 10
Reply to
bitrex

The EP08? It just has one signal input. I don't remember why I did that.

A solid copper plane with bypassed Manhattan power strips works well, like my first pic.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

You can mount the SOIC chips right on the copper clad, the right way up, without surf boards. Just bend up horizontal all of the pins that are not ground, solder the ground pins straight to the copper clad, and lean an 0402 100nF or 1uF diagonally between the VDD pin and the copper clad. Then wire up the signals with 0.125mm or 0.2mm solderable enamelled magnet wire.

Reply to
Chris Jones