Bolt battery problem (2023 Update)

GM advices not to charge more than 90%, and discharge less than 70 miles. So, effective range of 60 miles? Not much more than my 50 miles Leaf. At least, Leaf batteries don't catch on fire. Leaf batteries are inefficient but over-engineered.

Ed Lee

"GM is buying back some affected cars in the US, which is a welcome measure to a situation if failed to solve. Bolt EV owners reported they are not able to sell their cars even for very low prices due to the fire repercussions."

They have a helluva problem on their hands. Sounds like another government bailout in the making.

Fred Bloggs

Jeez Louise. Anyone'd do better just buying a golf buggy. The technology just isn't there yet.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

If the price is right, perhaps around $10,000. I would buy a bolt.

To be more precise, the estimated range is: Bolt: 40% (90% - 50%) of 60KwHr = 24KWhr or 71 miles Leaf: 70% (90% - 20%) of 24KwHr = 16KWhr or 48 miles

Reply to
Ed Lee

How long do these pieces of crap take to re-charge?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yup, it'll be orders of magnitude more lucrative than striking gold or finding oil was in the early 20th century.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Around 45 min. Correction: Bolt: 50%(90%-40%) of 60KwHr = 39KWhr or 100mi effective range.

Reply to
Ed Lee

Try again: Bolt: 55% (90%-35%) of 60 KwHr = 30KwHr or 100mi effective range.

Reply to
Ed Lee

The other day I saw a poster touting the idea of inflatable sails on container ships. Since the wind doesn't always blow it would obviously make more sense to use oarsmen. And a guy banging a drum.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Golf buggy's aren't as quick as a Bolt. The Bolt doesn't seem to embody state of the art technology. Rick C would argue that the Tesla incorporates more advanced technology, and I'd be inclined to agree with him.

Cursitor Doom hasn't a clue about what the technology can deliver now, and doesn't want to know. What he wants is the kind of malicious misrepresentation that might get published in Zero Hedge - anything more constructive would set his teeth on edge.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

I think what Bill Sloman fails to understand is that someone is going to have to come up with something a hell of a lot better than lithium-based chemistry for a new power source. Just because something sounded fancy in Star Trek half a century ago doesn't mean it's genuinely a contender for the future of electric vehicles to a standard which would make them an obvious choice over ICE vehicles, and until that breakthrough comes, we are still looking at yesteryear's solutions.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

The sails are a supplement to reduce the cost of transport, not a solitary means.

Reply to
Rick C

Electric Amphibious Assault Vehicle?

Reply to
Ed Lee

So the reason is that it's economical.

And they didn't do it 100 years ago because nobody knew how to do cost/benefit analysis before the environmental movement.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Are you asking or telling?

Reply to