update on the THS3062 problem

Just over 6 weeks after we filed our first service request on the THS3062 problem, TI got back to us. In the interim, we bugged them at least weekly, and also got involved two distributors, the local TI rep, and the ultimate motivator, TI's vice-president of ethics.

The problem is that, when powered from +-12 volts and outputting a

+-10 volt sine wave, at about 12 MHz signal frequency the chip crashes: amplitide falls by about 4:1, the chip draws huge supply currents and gets red hot, and output phase reverses. After a lot of flunkies questioned our layout, bypassing, intelligence, and stuff like that, they finally announced that the amp is intended for use in applications where rapid slews are separated by time in which "internal amplifier nodes are allowed to reach equilibrium."

Jim suggested such, based on small wiggles in the closed-loop frequency graphs on the datasheet. So, why is the problem only hinted at by small wiggles? Why isn't this massive defect noted on page 1, in

24-point type?

We're re-doing the pcb layout, an 8-layer VME board with a bazillion parts... uP, two fpga's, dacs, all sorts of stuff. Grrrrr.

This is, incidentally, a function generator that was supposed to output +-10 volts behind 50 ohms, up to 32 MHz, sort of what somebody brought up in another thread nearby. We may keep the +-10 volt spec if the replacement amps hold up, but we are adding power supply hooks to use lower-voltage amps and bail down to about +-5 swing if necessary.

John

How thoroughly irritating.. and if yours was a start-up company it could be considerably worse than irritating.

Thanks for the follow-up on the problem and TI's handling of it. I'm sure many of us shall find the information helpful in the process of selecting suppliers.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

My condolences. Had a similar experience with a TPS LDO regulator. If Vin came up too fast ... phssssst ... *BANG*. They did not release the innards for sims and also did not want to sim our (simple) circuitry using their internal model. So I designed them out and never looked back at that regulator series. Or any other LDO for that matter.

Other than that TI was usually pretty good. Now if they'd just lower the MSP430 prices ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg schrieb:

Ugly. TI makes so fascinating fast OpAmps.

I think you should switch to MARC4: half the current of MSP430 and RPN in the variant of being FORTH.

- Henry

--
www.ehydra.dyndns.info
Reply to

Yes, I used a THS4021 in a design lately. Stunning performance, reasonably priced, although I'll probably redesign that to discretes if that client faces larger qties some day. You can get a BFR93 for around 10c.

In contrast to what a lot of folks believe 4-bit micros are by no means dead. Although the Atmel series appears to be a tad on the pricey side. However, in Asia stuff is often "priced as needed to land the deal".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

At least you tested it thoroughly before shipping it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

John still writes much of his code in assembly so he's never had the means to go the "ship the beta, we'll just fix flaky hardware with a software 'update' that you can download from the [Al Gore?] Internet!" route.

Just kidding, of course...!

Reply to
Joel Koltner

We occasionally send customers a replacement eprom, to update firmware or fpga configs, to fix a bug or add a feature. I'm not sure I'd know how to write code to fix an opamp latchup, at least not in assembly. Can that be done in C++?

John