computer battery problem...

I did a search for 'computer repair' and read in a news article that seemed to say this group welcomed such inquiries.

I have a Toshiba laptop (my third) that used to run without the battery pack. The computer is probably 10 years old. I use it in my vehicle to look at maps and also run a timer program that keeps track of where you are on any interstate freeway in the US. The computer is continuously plugged into a 120 volt power converter. Just a few days ago it started shutting down with a low battery message (I think that is what it is saying - it shuts down too fast to read the message) whenever the monitor is out of the screen saver for more than about a minute. Since the computer will usually run without the battery pack installed, it seems that there may be an internal battery that has gone bad - just guessing here. The computer shuts down as above even with the battery pack installed and the battery charger plugged in. Obviously, the monitor is draining too much juice, causing the computer to croak.

This same thing happened to my 1st Toshiba laptop.

Any suggestion on how this can be repaired will be appreciated!

Thanks - John

Reply to
battles1550

alt.comp.hardware is more geared up to that

Reply to
meow2222

Reply to
battles1550