Blew the fuse in my multimeter, wanted to replace it, grabbed it, but

Weird story with my web host. They don't charge me for it, and I don't complain. The original company got taken over and during that time they lost my account info. Then it got taken over by another company and they've never heard of me. My site sits on their servers, but they apparently cannot access it. Let sleeping dogs lie...

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Apr 2010 16:16:49 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

lot of money that way :-)

More than 10 orbits around the sun.

Well, if I wanted for free I could use one of those add filled sites, and upload from my laptop via the Vodafone GPRS / HSDPA modem, - from the attic - as the signal is completely useless downstairs. It is great on the road though.

As that PC controls everything in the home, heating, also records satellite TV, plays audio, runs the security cam recording 24/7, I think it is indispensable (right word?). And you have to give it, that Tyan mobo has been running 24/7 now for 10 years :-) The power supply is some Chinese cheap thing, need replacing now, still a decent lifetime I think.

I guess ultimately I need no internet at all.... But it is still a lot of fun. Also any datasheet you want in seconds...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:05:50 +1000) it happened "David L. Jones" wrote in :

Oh, the price-performance of that meter is excellent,

5 Euro, includuing battery: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/cheap_meter.jpg ftp://panteltje.com/pub/cheap_meter_inside.jpg

For that money you also get a beta test for NPN and PNP, and a beeper to test continuity. I cannot possibly make it for that. Oh, and you get a soldered fuse too :-)

Next time you need a beeper or battery just buy one of these meters :-) I am happy with it :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:54:16 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Oh, I can send email, and internet from my GSM too :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hmmm... I get 500Meg of storage, and 100 email accounts (using 3!) but I don't know if there is a bandwidth limitation.

But, that is the regular price. I am renewing next month...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I got 1 GB with comcast.

300 GB with Ipower.

I think I'm paying about 70-80 dollars a year for Ipower. i renew for 2 years saves money. They don't tell you that right off.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Ha, they now advertise unlimited storage and bandwidth. Thats for new customers.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I was fantasizing that Jan might actually want a fuse with a known interrupt current rating in his crappy meter, at which point it makes more sense to use an actual new glass fuse.

Probably just lipstick on a pig, but WCYD?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

That quickly gets old when it's a fat layout that you have to revise and then return the marked up layout back to the client ;-)

I guess you can theoretically do that on an iPhone if it had a Gerber editor but you'd need carpal tunnel surgery soon.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

ISP

makes a lot of money that way :-)

This one doesn't seem to, only one year. It's ok to play musical hosts if you aren't working and having email down for a day won't matter. I can't do that (yet).

Huh? I gladly pay for good service.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

a lot of money that way :-)

attic -

TV, plays audio,

word?).

It's the correct word. But I wouldn't trust a PC to run heating and stuff. Limited adjustments of it, yes, but no more. The rest is all de-central here because we live outside most of the time. Well, used to until "global warming" came and made the winters much longer and quite cold (the wood stove is running right now ...).

:-)

decent lifetime I think.

My dad completely signed off from it, doesn't even need email. It can be done :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It would be interesting to have an iphone type touch screen interface for pcb layout, where you just use your fingers on the screen. But the screen would have to be mostly horizontal, to avoid arm fatigue.

That leads to the thing I've always wanted, a drafting table with a D-size LCD built into its surface, with resolution at least as good as I can do with a pencil. 10 million pixels might be OK.

John

You'd also need a bottle of Windex, or ban that engineer's food you posted a picture of recently :-)

I think they make that for whiteboards but not 10MPixel.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

nes"

)

You managed to break off a probe in the 10A hole too, eh?

I bought a couple of these for $3 when they were on sale.

99
Reply to
Michael

Charlie E. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

probably a "Number of hits" limit; IOW,if you get too many visitors to your website,they drop you,or make you pay extra in some way.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Phil Hobbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@electrooptical.net:

and a LOT easier!

whack 'em with a cluestick.

IMO,if you're gonna put a fuse in a DMM,it oughta be easily replaceable and easily obtainable. Maybe even include a spare inside the case!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:19:30 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael wrote in :

No I did not, what gave you that idea? The wires of the probe broke of after a few times though, I have bought a set of test-leasd that is more expensive then this meter :-) I also fixed the old ones.

Nice, mine has a 100 Hz (IIRC) signal generator too (square wave). Actually a neat feature if you want to test audio amps :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

It's there to protect the user, not the meter. If the user doesn't know volts from amps, he can hardly be trusted to safely fix the meter and should shell out the $5 to buy a new one.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Great. I once had one of those. After a few months, some copper strands in the leads had not just broken, but also worked their way through the insulation (if that's what you could call it). I was lucky enough not to be measuring a 500 volt plate voltage at the moment that I felt the copper poking through.

Richard Rasker

--
http://www.linetec.nl
Reply to

On a sunny day (Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:43:54 +0200) it happened Richard Rasker wrote in :

That is right, but I fixed the leads :-) I also bought better ones. The meter is great though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje