Eagle on the eeePC, or is it only virtual? pictures :-)

First we power on the eeePC, and get this: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/eagle_on_eeepc/snapshot1.png

Then we start a terminal (xterm) sessions with ctrl alt T: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/eagle_on_eeepc/snapshot2.png Note I have a flash USB stick connected to copy the screenshots too, nothing to do with eagle.

Now we log in to the main PC on the LAN, it has eagle on it, so eagle is NOT native on the eeePC, we use all the power of the main PC, and the X windows networking feature makes it look as we have it on the eeePC. ftp://panteltje.com/pub/eagle_on_eeepc/snapshot3.png Logged in now!

Then we start eagle from the command line, simpler is not possible: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/eagle_on_eeepc/snapshot4.png

And here it is: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/eagle_on_eeepc/snapshot5.png

Full screen now: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/eagle_on_eeepc/snapshot7.png

The board: ftp://panteltje.com/pub/eagle_on_eeepc/snapshot8.png

Linux rules!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Slightly off topic:

If you install "dosemu" on an eeePC, you can run DOS programs.

If you plug in a Keyspan USB to RS232 device, (The single port one) you see a /dev/ttyUSB0 serial port.

If you set the "dosemu" to use the USB port as COM1, programs like "commo" and "procom" will run and work with the USB serial port without trouble.

The result is a DOS comport program running on a USB RS232 serial port, which is something that XP can't do.

On Jun 4, 5:55 am, Jan Panteltje wrote: [....]

Cool!

Reply to
MooseFET

On a sunny day (Wed, 4 Jun 2008 06:25:19 -0700 (PDT)) it happened MooseFET wrote in :

Perhaps? you do not need DOSEMU, here are some binaries that _should_ run on an eeePC, ftp://panteltje.com/pub/eeepc/ at least they run here, but of course the ptlrc and minicom complain I have no (surrogate) serial port. Give it a try. All this stuff is GPL.

Here is the description of these programs:

ptlrc a simple comm program, I wrote, use ptlrc -h for help, ptlrc-0.2.tgz is the C source. minicom the official Linux serial com program telnet telnet ipaddress port you know, on my eeePC it needed the libraries libssl.so.0.9.7 and libcrypto.so.0.9.7 installed, as mine had the newer 0.9.8, just copy those as root to /usr/lib/ ccrypt very useful to encrypt text files with passwords etc, ccrypt -e file.txt encrypts, and ccrypt -d file.txt.cpt decrypts. joe my txt editor (console based), joerc is the config file and goes into your homedir as .joerc. lame You will like this, the great mp3 encoder, it runs no problem. You can record the internal mike directly to mp3 with it: cat /dev/dsp | lame -r -s 44.1 -m s -x - ./test.mp3 Copy the binaries to /usr/local/bin/ as root. This should give people something to play. I took the binaries from my debian based grml system.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 04 Jun 2008 16:20:04 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Correction, that should read: rec -d /dev/dsp -r 44100 -c 2 -s w -t raw - | lame -r -s 44.1 -m s -x - ./test.mp3

You need rec to initialise /dev/dsp. rec is part of sox, native on eeePC.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Nice screen shots there, Jan.

More like X-Windows? :-)

(Interestingly, while X-Windows had "remote GUI programs on your display" for many years before Windows, one feature the Microsquish Remote Desktop protocol has is the ability to "take over" a currently active desktop and shove it down the RDP pipe -- something X has never done, but which is quite useful.)

Now that they have the 900/901 versions out with the bigger LCDs, those eeePCs are rather tempting...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Sure it does. We use it at work to share presentations when we're doing conference calls. It's called VNC (at least, I use vncviewer to participate in these).

Reply to
DJ Delorie

On a sunny day (Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:13:53 -0700) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

But those look ugly, like a toilet seat ;-) The new desktop series is amzingly beautiful though (number 11):

Jan Panteltje

OK, VNC is roughly comparable to RDP, I suppose -- in theory. In practice VNC has always been rather worse at rendering all the little nuances of a GUI correctly (mouse pointer changes, pop-up/animated windows, etc.), whereas RDP is almost perfect. I have a co-worker who uses VNC to support his father remotely, and he's experienced similar problems (in his case it was mouse pointer tracking didn't work bidrectionally).

Still, for free, I'm really not complaining. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

:-) Just wait for the new color schemes to arrive?

I wonder how much extra they had to pay the model to get the Eee PC logo/name temporarily tattooed above her breast!?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Hmm... in this photo:

... the model on the left definitely has that "Christina Ricci in Speedracer" waif thing going on! While they both ought to eat something, the one on the right might be even more in need of a good steak...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

ptlrc-0.2.tgz is the C source.

I have my own variation on minicom that I call picocom. It is infinitely stupid but is less demanding of having a fast CPU to keep up with 155200 Baud. "minicom" does drop characters because it does more complex screen writes. (someday I will publish it)

The "commo" and "procom" were just example programs. I was intending to indicate that any RS-232 port driving DOS program is likely to work. This include special purpose ones.

had the newer 0.9.8,

into your homedir as .joerc.

Thanks for the programs. I may come back to this subject later. Right now I'm doing a bunch of 8051 code and I find it best to do one at a time.

Reply to
MooseFET

On a sunny day (Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:12:28 -0700) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

Apart from that in the future DNA enhencement will have kids grow with ads all over them ????? it probaly was spraypainted with help of some mask. Or perhaps one of those press to transfer things ;-)?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:17:25 -0700) it happened "Joel Koltner" wrote in :

Yes it is largely a cultural thing I think, fat women seem to be 'in' in other areas of the world.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'm not sure they're "in," but there's definitely been a backlash against women who are (perceived to be) "too" thin.

Maybe it's just a lot of guys who are upset that the union of "weigh less than

110lbs." and "have C-cup or larger breasts" is almost nil. :-)

In the grand scheme of things, there are probably at least two orders of magnitude more people who ought to be seriously looking at losing weight than gaining it, I expect. Still, I don't dismiss the folks who are concerned that what the "fashion industry" projects as an ideal body type really is too thin to the point of being unhealthy as well as completely unachievable by the vast majority of people.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner