I have released a small Linux command line program to calculate the extra resistance due to skin effect in a wire.

After finding a simple formula for the extra rsistance due to skin effect, at

I have released a small Linux command line program under the GPL to calculate the extra resistance due to skin effect in a wire.

This program asks for wire diameter, wire length, and frequency, then answers like this: # skin skin-0.1 copyright Jan Panteltje 2009-always. This program will calculate the extra resistance due to skin effect in a wire. Wire diameter in mm?

1.3 Wire length in meter? .86 frequency in Hz? 100000 The extra resistance due to skin effect is 0.0198 Ohm.

Or you can use it in a script or some other way like this: skin 0.3 .86 100000 The extra resistance due to skin effect is 0.0413 Ohm.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Just to make your world more complicated, see pages 6 thru last of this Micrometals pdf regarding proximity effect.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

It sounds like you may be picking up where Reg left off.

JeffM

like this:

Skin effect isn't very exciting below 1 MHz. However, proximity effect is much more exciting and swamps out skin effect in low freq (

Reply to
qrk

On a sunny day (Wed, 25 Feb 2009 09:23:08 -0600) it happened "amdx" wrote in :

Thanks. Interesting, well, anyone is free to upgrade the soft ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Not when you put copyright declarations all over the place, and do not release the source.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

As a person who has never done RF design I was fascinated. What training I had in RF never reached this level of precision.

As this is new reference material for me, I became curious about whether it will survive on the internet.

The web page with graphics partially survives in the archive, without illustrations, but the PDF appears to survive better complete with illustrations.

Link Jan posted on various types of power loss

Latest archive at this posting, but archive does not have illustrations.

Archive list for future archival reference also minus illustrations

*/

Link Mike posted on proximity effect

Jan 1 2007 version in archive (Since it's PDF, illustrations survive)

list of versions in archive

*/

Greegor

t, at

swers like this:

wire.

Skin effect can matter at low frequencies if the conductor is big enough. Even at audio frequencies it limits how far into the earth an AC current will flow.

Reply to
MooseFET

IIRC the skin depth is 8mm at 50Hz in the copper asumming the uniform H field and the infinite flat conductive plane. The skin depth is inverse proportional to the square root of the frequency. This is important at the high currents even at the low frequencies. What it tells there is really no point in making the conductors thicker then several mm, but increasing the surface area is much more efficient.

Vladimir Vassilevsky