How do you say "Recall" to a telephone?

I am writing a program that outputs DTMF tones from my computer speakers to dial telephone numbers in my address book. I decided to add a button to do automatic call back if the number is engaged. The instructions in the phone book which are also here -

say to press "Recall" then *37#. Can I send tones to emulate "Recall" or is it some other change of state on the phone line? If the latter, what is it?

Reply to
David Segall

Not that I know of. When you press redial on any phone I've tried, the controller in the phone drops the line, picks it back up again, then plays back the last dial sequence. Ie. hang up and try again.

Cheers, Nicholas Sherlock

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

Wouldn't it be easier just to send the number again?

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Whoops, misread you the first time. Recall is dropping the line for some small amount of time (

Reply to
Nicholas Sherlock

Nope.

Yes, its a timed line break.

Its a lot simpler to just dial the number again when you have the dialing automated.

Reply to
Rod Speed

You need to be able to release and grab the line, you cannot do it with audio...

Reply to
rowan194

I think from memory that ATD@ is a hookflash command but then you're hoping that the modem correctly implements it and that it suits the line that's being used. It would be more reliable to dial again.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

And yes, I went off on a tangent and he's using audio not a modem. Tea time, old chap.......

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:01:36 GMT, David Segall put finger to keyboard and composed:

LOL. An acoustic coupler.

Why not use a modem and a built-in app? Windows 98, for example, has an app called "dialer.exe". You use the dialer to make the call and then hang up the modem after picking up your parallel connected telephone handset.

If you prefer to write your own app, then send commands such as ...

AT DT nnnnnnnn;

or ...

AT DT !*37#;

In the case of my Rockwell modem, the "!" flashes the switch hook for a period of time defined by S-register S29.

For example, AT S29=70 sets the hookflash duration to 700msec.

Listen for modem responses such as "BUSY", "NO DIALTONE", "VCON", etc.

The ATH and ATH1 commands cause the modem to go on-hook and off-hook, respectively.

If you have a "hardware" modem, then you could probably automate the dialing procedure using a simple DOS batch file.

-- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

The 'recall' function is commonly referred to as 'hook flash' where the line is dropped and picked up within a short period of time. There probably is a way to send some sort of command to the exchange hardware that tells it you want to initiate the same function as if you've flashed the line, but Telstra probably would do their utmost to make sure nobody can find out about it. 8-)

Craig.

--
 SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Waterfall, NSW, Australia - Operated by Craig Dewick - Founded in 1996

"recall" is another name for a hook-flash (a rapiid onhook-offhook)

that's done with a '!' in the dial-string if your modem supports it.

atdt !*37# Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I believe there are two standards for the duration of the hook-flash, and the Australian one is between 100-500ms. The other system is under 100ms, which was all that was supported on one old (non-approved) phone we bought. I used to simply bump the hang-up button instead, until we replaced it with a legal phone.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Clifford Heath wrote

Both were supported by Aust designed and manufactured T200s

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope. It only did 100ms or 500ms, depending on the switch setting. There was no option for a TLB of under 100ms.

--
Kwyj
Reply to

It's the usual hardware/software trade off. My study has two telephone lines and only one modem. My wife's study has no telephone lines and no modem but she does have a cordless phone. :)

Reply to
David Segall

That would be fine but it does not seem to work. I have tried sending the number followed by *37# in response to the engaged tone. I have also tried some variants involving one second pauses but all I get is the engaged tone. Is there some way of sending the number that you believe will work?

Reply to
David Segall

If you are getting busy tone, then you *must* hang up. Dialling anything else without hanging first is just pointless. Try it manually. The Recall code (*37#) is only a command that indicates that something else is to follow, it certainly is not the equivalent of hanging up & letting the line reset.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

I think you are right but I was responding to a post that proposed sending the number again. "Hanging up first" does not solve my problem because sending the original number after hanging up, not surprisingly, results in the engaged signal again.

I don't understand this bit. *37# does not expect anything else to follow. Trying it manually indicates that if it is preceded by Recall (Flash) it results in the Call Back behaviour I am seeking.

Reply to
David Segall

Kwyjibo wrote

That is what I meant.

He was just misstating that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Have a look at Asterisk - a free software pbx:

If using Asterisk itself isn't a solution to your problem (and it's a bit of overkill, just for a dialler!), reading through the source code may give you some helpful information.

Will

Reply to
will kemp