Glaxies

Neat shows on NatGeo. I really got a grip on a couple of things. First, an atom is like the nucleus the size of fly in the middle of a huge chirch or hall, with electrons spinning around the walls. Mostly space.

Fill up a large football stadium with peas, and that how many galaxies there are. Next, take 100 billion football stadiums filled with peas, and that how many stars there are. Next, take 300 billion football stadiums filled with peas, and there must be that many planets, at least. Next I took something like .0000001, or Perhaps % of some kind of life, times the result, and I get a result I can't even deal with..

grge

Reply to
GregS

are.

stars there are.

that many

the result,

Wow! You're on your way to being an engineer. Soon you'll even be able to spell it ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     The easiest way to rob a bank has always been to own one.
                 Now the government owns the banks.
          Time to install a fireproof floor safe at home.

are.

stars there are.

that many

the result,

I sometimes think maybe a blue supergiant with planets around it like Saturns's rings, but the clumps are Earth-sized, and it's in a sort of air/water belt, where you could fly from clump to clump with hang-glider-sized wings.

All we'd need to go visit is a Trans-Warp engine. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You are thinking of Larry Niven's "Smoke Ring"

a.. Publisher: Del Rey (March 12, 1988) a.. Language: English a.. ISBN-10: 0345302575 a.. ISBN-13: 978-0345302571

and the sequel "The Integral Trees"

a.. Publisher: Del Rey (July 29, 2003) a.. Language: English a.. ISBN-10: 0345460367 a.. ISBN-13: 978-0345460363

Both very good. He hasn't written anything half as good in recent years

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to