BING is crap

My standard Firefox settings are no javascript and no pop-ups. Once I trust a site, I adjust as necessary. ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, but now it has all kinds of security checks and nags the user every time it proceeds to load a file (unless the website knows how to disable it). It does in 100,000,000 bytes of memory what a vax needed 10,000 bytes to do and did down at the system level instead of just for one app.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Which is rarely 'necessary'. :)

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

browser

find

Turn

The next biggest problem is the Windows memory mangler. They wrote a garbage collection routine into the Commodore software when you only had

38K of RAM, but ditched it when they wrote 'Winders' (The REDNECK Operating System) ;-)
--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Mostly just bank and credit card accounts, and stuff I pay via the web... like just about every bill... I have ONE account I can't pay via the web. ...Jim Thompson

I just upgraded Firefox by clean re-install (for some reason the built-in update didn't work). Have to see, but in the past you had to enter all those sites by hand. That gets old.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[snip]

(1) There's a method to import old Firefox settings. Surf for it, or...

(2) Install NoScript... block all pop-ups and java, then allow as you encounter a good site. You don't have to do it all at once. ...Jim Thompson

away

browser

find

Turn

Microsoft's explorer cache is their greatest acknowledgement that their memory management is crap.

A program written for a functional operating system would simply allocate memory to hold recently used pages. No cleanup needed as it'll all vanish when the application exits. Not so with IE. Every page, image and script is saved as a file. Of course it runs into other problems when you have tens of gigabytes of old shit sitting around in the cache.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I'm inescapably reminded of the "birth" sketch from Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life", in which the doctors proudly point out that "They have the machine that goes BING!" and that it's the most expensive machine in the hospital. The primary (apparent) purpose of this expensive machine is to impress visitors to the delivery room at how well equipped the hospital is.

I.e., useless and annoying techno-gimmickry... just like the Bing search popups.

Dave Platt

Done that already upon install.

As long as I don't have to trudge through setup menus but just click an "Allow for this site" box that would be ok.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Right click little "S" (bottom right on the page) gives you a whole set of choices from "temporarily allow" to "forbid, permanent", with just a single click. ...Jim Thompson

I.e., useless and annoying techno-gimmickry... just like Obama & his Teleprompter.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Now I just have to find the "little S". Firefox 3.6.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You have to download and install NoScript... it's an "AddOn". ...Jim Thompson

stfu wingnut. At least the guy can read and utter three sentences in a row without losing his train of thought and doesn't spend weeks of his time trying to keep some brain dead vegatable alive.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

from

click on disable and it should set a cookie so you don't get the popup

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Ah, thanks.

Duking it out with memory cells on a chip right now. Man, how can you possibly have fun with this sort of stuff? I want my solder iron back ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

BING is actually an acronym for what this product demonstrates. Bill Is Not God. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Yawn. Obama is Barney Fife, without his one bullet in his shirt pocket.

Teleprompters are only used by people who have trouble remembering their name long enough for their airtime. I should know. I was a broadcast engineer at three TV stations and was glad none of those losers had anything to do with the Engineering department.

What will happen to you, now that you're a brain dead vegetable who believes in Blowlama?

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

He's a watermelon who thinks he'll get a free lunch. He has no clue of what brain drain will happen... the "payers" will walk. ...Jim Thompson

             Leftist weenies are like watermelons...
             GREEN on the outside, RED on the inside.
             Test them as done in "Day of the Jackal"