Mouse survey

Hey guys and gals,

I am looking to buy a new mouse. I prefer standard mice, no trackballs, and I need accuracy.

I figure that technical people that drive massive CAD applications like high-end PCB, IC, FPGA stuff don't use the 10$ mice that come with Wal Mart PCs.

What's the scoop?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Logitech LX7 Cordless Optical

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Logitech optical USB. But sometimes it acts funny, depending on the surface. It really doesn't like my Wallace and Gromit mouse pad.

John

My LX7 seems impervious to surface... works on my bare crufty oak desk, or a black Fellowes pad, or on my hairy arm ;-)

My only complaint, though not intolerable... batteries only last about two weeks. Given the heavy usage, I can live with that.

...Jim Thompson

I have the G7.

Reply to
miso

Mine doesn't like smooth shiney surfaces.

definition: recursion; see recursion.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The G7 and a few others use a rechargeable LIon battery. You get two batteries. The mouse announces on the screen when the battery is low, and also flashes a red LED.

Reply to
miso

John Bordynuik selects "I prefer standard mice, no trackballs, and I need accuracy"

I use Logitech's Cordless Desktop MX3000 and use it a lot. I haven't changed batteries yet (since Christmas).

Regards

John Bordynuik

Reply to
John Bordynuik

I use a Logitech Trackman Wheel, but I'd like to try a Spaceball.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Ikea furniture has a satiny varnish that seems to confuse it, too. Every once in a while it will just decide to slew northwest when the mouse isn't moving at all.

John

John Larkin a écrit :

Worms?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

Get a $10 optical scroll mouse.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Microsoft (wash your mouth out) Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0 Runs from 2 AA batteries, mine have been in for months without switching off. No problems

Ian

Reply to
ian

Reply to
Michael

My Logitech cordless at home has the rechargeable batteries, but I'm not sure I would recommend it. It goes to sleep if you don't move it for a short time (few seconds?) to conserve battery and there's a pause of half a second to wake it back up. It is also not that accurate for fine work (seems to overshoot, some hysteresis). I don't recall the model number, it's about 18 months old.

Regards

Ian Ian

Reply to
Ian

I have found it is not good to have the USB receiver plugged in directly to the PC... it's shielded by metal, subject to close-by switching noise, etc.

So I use the provided extender cable such that the receiver is sitting on top of the PC's, about a foot away from the mouse (under the slide-out keyboard drawer... PC's are on the floor on a roll-out).

...Jim Thompson

Memory leak? Dereferenced object pointers? DLL version issues?

Look for the tiny ctrl/alt/delete keys on the bottom.

John

The M$ optical meeces are pretty good. I know you said no trackballs, but you may want to look into Mouse-Track. They make industrial trackballs. For 2D CAD, the Mouse-Track trackballs work great. BTW, Logitec and others make crappy trackballs!

--
Mark
Reply to

6$ optical mouse. Perfect!
john jardine

I prefer "five button" mice that have the extra "forwards" and "back" buttons on opposite sides, for use by your thumb and ring finger (the ones with "forwards" and "back" both positioned for thumb use are OK too). I'm also somewhat picky about scrool wheels... I like the kind with the detents as you rotate the wheel, and not the newer Microsoft continuous rotation styles. I haven't found the heavily "ergnomically" shaped mice to be any better than the more generic (mostly symmetrical) designs. These days, all-optical ("ball-less!") mice are a given. Finally, for a desktop PC, I prefer corded mice.

My two favorite mice are the Microsoft Intellimouse Optical and the Kensington Optical Elite. These aren't $10 mice, but they are

Reply to
Joel Kolstad