battery hot swap.

The next step in our project is to be able to hot swap the batteries on the device and continue to run with out any interruptions. Currently we are using 4 AA batteries. Currently draw is about 200 mA.

Do any of you have any ideas for a solution for something like this where we could pull the batteries out and continue running for about

30 seconds until fresh batteries are inserted?!

Thanks for any information.

-Brad

Reply to
Brad

Depends on what your definition of "running" is.

Voltage?

Maybe just a big-valued capacitor?

Or two sets of batteries?

...Jim Thompson

Insufficient information to answer your question. What is the device?

200MA sounds like a lot of continuous current for AA batteries. Maybe you need a NICAD or NIMH rechargeable to maintain the operation while changing batteries. But then how do you know that the primary batteries are ready to go?
--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Two set of batteries . Switch in the new batteries on the load, switch out the old, and then the old can be replaced while the new, secondary set are already in service. No extra cap bank circuits or storage circuits needed.

Or put a crank storage module on it between battery swaps, the crank bank would supply the needs.

Reply to
SoothSayer

tch

You can logically OR the two supplies through diodes, if you can live with the drop.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Maybe you could use primary (eg. Lithium AA) cells with a long shelf life just to supply that 200mA between changes. Usually, IME, with that kind of situation the 'controller' powers down the stuff that uses a lot of current, and just keeps enough stuff alive to maintain the state. In that case, a double-layer capacitor may be enough.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"RFI-EMI-GUY"

** Not true at all.

The common Energizer E91 alkalines will run 6 to 8 hours at 200mA - depending on what end voltage is OK.

NiMH AA cells could bring that up to 12 hours or more.

** One could switch over to a 9 volt battery to hold up the supply while replacing in AAs.
** Bout the only way to do that reliably is to use NiMH AA cells and have a strict routine of replacing them with a freshly recharged set every 8 to 10 hours.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Or see how us big boys do it, take a look at...

PerfectDiodeForChargerIsolation.pdf

on the SED page of my website.

...Jim Thompson

Using each new battery to push out each old battery reduces hold-up time requirements.

RL

Reply to
legg

2 sets of battery holders?

Bob

Reply to
sycochkn

Wrong buzzword, that's not a "hotswap" which has to do with plugging a circuit into live power through some form of connector. The"swap" part is close, but no cigar...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Aren't mirrors wonderful? People like you can prance and pose in front of them all day, yet you still see that you are an idiot.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Jak The Fuckwit Retard "

** LOL - this asinine prick sounds like a

STEAMING GREAT FUCKWIT !!!

** Err - where did I say otherwise ???

FUCKWIT !!!!!!

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

=BF=BD-

operation

le

lls and

??

in, you all will be wiped out. =EF=BF=BDHe's a real tiger!

It's FUN kicking your Mizerable Ass, GregoryMorrow at earthlink.net............You've been Impostering Hundreds of Identities all over Usenet...........Now the REAL JakTheHammer is going to HAMMER your Sick Ass.........Donchaknow............You Demented, Insane Bastard...........

Reply to
JakTheHammer

prance and pose in

However, you are responding to an Imposter Post.........The Same Moron that Imposters MY Identity on this NG is also Impostering YOUR Identity...........I DON'T post to this group...........I'm only here because Gregory Morrow is all over Usenet Impostering Hundreds of Identities and Google attributes His Posts to me...........You'll find his Posts are DELETED from Google because since it's MY Identity, I have the POWER to Delete them from Google.............Complain to aoie.org.........

Reply to
Jakthehammer

prance and pose in

If you need the readout to file a complaint to aoie.org. here it is.......

mode=3Dsource

Reply to
Jakthehammer

It's FUN kicking your Mizerable Ass, GregoryMorrow at earthlink.net............You've been Impostering Hundreds of Identities all over Usenet...........Now the REAL JakTheHammer is going to HAMMER your Sick Ass.........Donchaknow............You Demented, Insane Bastard...........

Oh JakTheHumburger.... Who is really Mizerable butt? Have your check your end lately? Little Yak?

disprove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If you need the readout to file a complaint to aoie.org. here it is.......

I already filed against that Bastard JakTheHammer, then I posted the Funny muscle Stimulator's project. Can't you see it DumbAss?

disprove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

However, you are responding to an Imposter Post.........The Same Moron that Imposters MY Identity on this NG is also Impostering YOUR Identity...........I DON'T post to this group...........I'm only here because Gregory Morrow is all over Usenet Impostering Hundreds of Identities and Google attributes His Posts to me...........You'll find his Posts are DELETED from Google because since it's MY Identity, I have the POWER to Delete them from Google.............Complain to aoie.org.........

Oh......That's interesting, I didn't know I'm such a dumbass. Thanks for your alert.

disprove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

nks

Greg, the "aioe.org" gives you away.........Terrell doesn't post from "aioe.org".........Anyone can tell you're an Imposter by LQQKING at the Posting Paths..........If anyone is the Victim of one of your Imposter Posts, they can just send you a Nasty Email at your Original Identity of gregorymorrow at earthlink.net............They can also Complain to aioe.org............Y'see, Usenet is a Dying Entity............Partially because of people like YOU that want to f*ck with everybody else............75% of the Usenet Posts are from a Small Minority of Sick Jerks using Sockpuppets and Imposters to f*ck with people...........Sick Bastards like YOU have Ruined what used to be a Good Medium of Exchange and Discussion..........Donchaknow............

Reply to
Jakthehammer