Alkaline battery

Hello all Anyone got some info on how and with how much milliamps do I have to charge a alkaline penlite battery. All I did find was a diagram for a charger, but no current. As far as I did read with every charge the battery will hold less capacity. Thanks Bert.

Reply to
Bert

A general rule of thumb is to charge to 140 % of the capacity. Let's assume the cell is discharged and its capacity is 500 mAH (1.4 x 500 = 700); so you could charge it at 70 mA for 10 hours.

Yes, capacity diminishes somewhat with each cycle.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Reply to
Bennett Price

I had to assume that it does.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

I had to assume that it does.

Yes I am sure it is rechargeable, written on the battery, the type is AA, no capacity on it. Manufacturer website is for sale, no help there. I am using them in a optical wireless mouse, normal battery 1 month, normal alkaline holding 5 month. How long the rechargeable will hold I do not know. Just wanted to know what is the max charging current and should there be a voltage limit, say 1.6 volt. Please fill me in if you can. Thank you both. Bert

Reply to
Bert

Hi Bert...

I have about a gazillion of them; a few years ago walmart was just about giving them away, so I stocked up with lots. (they still have them, but now much more expensive)

Charger is marked output 1.7 volts OR 550 ma maximum.

I pulled a aa out of one of those 6 inch or so kitchen clocks, been in the clock for a couple of months or so. No load voltage on the battery was 1.4 volts. Put it in the charger with meter in series, it drew 235 ma.

I have unopened packages here. Batteries made in Canada, severe warning about using a nicd or nimh charger, so beware. No website, but a phone number for any questions - 1-800-868-8756

That's Pure Energy Battery Corp, Amherst, Nova Scotia. B4H 3Z2

Don't expect anywhere near the same capacity as regular alkalines; when the grandkids used them in their CD players they didn't last long at all before requiring recharging.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

no

normal

[...]

Thank you very much for the extra effort you did do for me. The new battery was 1.6 volt no load when my wife did bring them, the make on it is 'Grandcell'. No current, no capacity, no nothing, website is for sale. I am far enough away from you in South Africa. The current an voltage reading is just what I wanted, try manage the discharge voltage on 1.3 volt. Capacity is a guess, but I can feel if they do get warm. Will charge them on my bench supply, voltage on 1.6 and current limit on 235 ma. This is my first time with rechargeable alkaline, will see how long will my mouse be working. Greetings Bert.

Reply to
Bert

H. Dziardziel

Hello H.Dziardziel Thank you very much for the very informative link. Made a copy of it on my computer, now I know for sure how to chrge the alkaline battery. Merry Christmas to all the people who send me some help. Greetings Bert.

Reply to
Bert

Alkaline batteries are not really rechargeable. This is a myth! The chemistry simply is not there. This is why you can only recharge alkaline batteries that are only partially discharged to about 60% - 70 % because you really are not recharging but instead doing other things.

If you still want to try the chargers that make these claims do it at very low currents typically 15 mA for an AA cell @ 1.5 V (This will require an open terminal voltage of about 3 V). It is important that the charger cutoff completely at a voltage around 1.6 V. Test this with a fresh alkaline cell.

For comparison, a typical AA NiCad recharges at 45 mA constant current.

I personally would not waste my time. Walgreens usually has pretty good sales on alkaline batteries. The most you might get is one very short discharge cycle, afterwhich the alkaline is depleted.

Reply to
garmar