Battery Charger Protecttion

Hi,

I am using the following chip from linear technologies

How can I stop common user to connect input (Vcc, pin 10) to voltages greater than 10 Volts?

Jessica

Reply to
jsscshaw88

1) add a pre-regulator

2) design a charger with a custom connector.

3) don't sell to "common users"
Reply to
hamilton

How about a fuse in series with pin 10 ( Vcc) of the chip? jess

Reply to
jsscshaw88

A fuse doesn't prevent applying a voltage greater than absmax.

Your best bet is to provide the charger power supply.

I'm not ruling out a crowbar circuit at say 9V plus fuse, but I don't think it is elegant.

Reply to
miso

There are tons of parts from the automotive market suitable for this, such as :

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Sure, go for it... one of them 9V fuses will be perfect :^) (Then you can sell 'em replacement fuses too.)

Say your idiom sometimes sounds Asian, where are you from?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't think you are going to be able to solder this chip - di you look at the package info?

Reply to
David Eather

You could use a depletion mode power fet in series with the Vcc pin. Then add a comparator to look at the incoming voltage, and have it turn the fet off when the voltage rises above 7-8 volts.

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Hoehler