Battery Monitoring and Microprocessor

Hello,

My project is to monitor the voltage level of the Lithium Ion Battery. If the battery discharges to 2.5 volts then the LED will turn ON and let the user know that its time to charge the battery again.

Now. my question is that I have two options to monitor the voltage

  1. Monitor the voltage using C8051F411's built in ADC.

  1. Monitor the voltage using maxim chip.

Which is the best way to go with? Is it true that if I use the on chip ADC then it will consume more power or draw more current from the battery than the maxim ic chip?

Please advice!

John

Reply to
john

I doubt it but the data sheet is your friend.

Graham

-- due to the hugely increased level of spam please make the obvious adjustment to my email address

Reply to
Eeyore

Hi, So, Why the data sheet is my friend?

John

Reply to
john

One more thing that I forgot to mention is that I am using the following battery

John

Reply to
john

The day has not yet arrived where an ADC and microprocessor are required to perform this task, unless the task is actually homework, or the microprocessor is already there.

If the latter is the case, then use the part that is already present.

RL

Reply to
legg

Its not home work but the microprocessor is already there. But I can add the voltage monitor chip to the board if I have some prove that it will be more power efficient than the microprocessor.

John

Reply to
Talqsel

It is not. Many uC can power-off the A2D subsystem. By the way, turning on an LED might just klll the already dying battery.

Reply to
linnix

Actually this a wireless system. So, the battery will be monitored at the transmitter end and the LED will be on the receiving end.

Regards, John

Reply to
john

Kind of failed to mention that in you first three posts, didn't you ?

You would think that this would have been kind of important, don't you ?

So, start over and specify what the current transmitter looks like and what the current receiver looks like.

Guessing what you'll come up with next isn't helping anyone.

don

Reply to
don

Google for "Microprocessor Supervisory Circuit"+2.5V.

RL

Reply to
legg

Because it will contain the information you need.