B&K Precision bench multimeters, good?

my

ch,

e 2831E:

so

ed text -

Woah... what's up with that? Does the fluke return to normal if you unplug the Keithley?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

2831E:

text -

For one, it powered up taking about a zillion measurements per second, so the display was a blur. It took a lot of menu flogging to get the rate down to human levels, and that setup couldn't be saved. And one of the three units crashed, just displayed some goofy diagnostic message.

My Fluke 8845A is great.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

2831E:

text -

The Keithley is the source, and is supposed to be outputting 10.0000 volts. Both the Fluke and the Keithley agree that it's way off when there's a little RF around.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

o my

hich,

ff

the 2831E:

ru...

ore

.

d text -

Yeah, the menu control's not the greatest. I've got other test gear that doesn't remember what I was doing last, that seems a common failing.

Any issues with the accuracy?

George H.

And one

ed text -

Reply to
George Herold

Sorry, I meant the 34410A (the 34401A is the predecessor). It's LXI Class C compliant as well as having USB.

Not too bad for such a nice instrument.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

To my

which,

uff

the 2831E:

tru...

so

more

d text -

ed text -

Dang, that sucks. I thought Keithley was a leader in test and measurement.

Is there some dynamic that can go wrong when a company gets too big, or too old?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

2831E:

text -

text -

Don't know about Keithley. But some other companies clearly have become too complacent. When I bought my last scope and had to shun Tektronix for the first time I could not believe it. They honestly thought that in this day and age they could get away with 4k of sample memory and still charge 50% more than the Asians (who had 25k standard). That's like seeing a new car in a showroom with naugahide seats.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

which,

2831E:

text -

text -

I'm getting disappointed with Tek too. We just bought a $50K LeCroy scope.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

:

To my

which,

tuff

t the 2831E:

-tru...

lso

more

as a

e.

5...

om

ted text -

uoted text -

Of course you know that tek and keithley are now the same company... :^(

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hmm, and it's on sale for under $1k. Tempting, tempting ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That line started out making test equipment for radio repair, and later, for TV shops. Things like their E200 signal generator. It was about the same class as Heathkit, without the fun of putting it together.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

my

which,

the 2831E:

more

text -

text -

Fluke, too.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

B&K is selling mostly rebranded Asian equipment nowadays.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I've had good results from the Thurlby-Thandar Instruments 1906 5-1/2 digit multimeter. It's ten years since I've bought one, but Farnell Australia still seems to offer it - though they've not got any in stock - for $A1,378.27, which might be $US 1450. It does do true RMS and Kelvin four terminal resistance measurements.

Clive Sinclair was involved in the start-up of Thurlby-Thandar, but the guys involved were smart enough to stop him from wrecking the quality of what they shipped.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

This is an eye-opener. I have seen them around and took for granted that they are Bruel&Kjaer. Only now I realize that the B&K rather stands for Philip Ban & Carl Korn.

Regards, Mikko

Reply to
Mr Stonebeach

I have this one which seems to be just as accurate as the B&K:

I bought it because it is one of the very few meters with backlight and 20A current handling capability.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

my

which,

2831E:

text -

text -

You are not the real John Larkin....

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Is the display big and easy to read out? I started needing glasses at age 40 and then LCD became much less pleasant than VFD, even when backlit they just don't have the same contrast.

Does the build quality look ok?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Get a Fluke while they are still good, and still made in USA.

Note how nice the Fluke display is, and how crashed the Chinese Keithley software is.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

which,

2831E:

text -

text -

Yeah, it's arrogant of them to brain damage a scope on purpose to hit a not-so-good price point. RAM is dirt cheap nowadays.

We went shopping for a 4-channel 1 GHz scope, and bought the Rigol. It was better and cheaper than the Agilent or Tek equivalents.

It comes with a few of these wonderful probe holders:

So, we've spent over $60K on non-Tek scopes in the last year.