World Maker Faire 2012

My #1 daughter Bronwen took me to the Maker Faire today as part of my birthday present. She's not an engineering type, but we both had a pretty good time for a couple of hours, which is about all it took to go round the grounds. It was at the New York Hall of Science in Flushing Meadows, which (appropriately enough) is one of the few remaining buildings from the 1964 New York World's Fair.

There were a couple of hundred exhibitors, which I thought was pretty good going for a hobby show. Atmel, Autodesk, and some other biggish names were well represented. The Small Business Administration folks were there, taking about how to get a patent, how patents work, and how to finance a small business. Nobody was paying any attention to them when I was there.

The big noise at the fair, no surprise, was 3-D printing and other hobby and entry-level CNC tools, including the new Makerbot Replicator 2. The R2 looks like a pretty well-designed gizmo--nice thick steel, good speed, available with on-site service for folks who need to get stuff done on a schedule.

Another manly-looking tabletop RPS was the one from qu-bd.com, which has a larger work surface and can do NC milling as well as 3D printing. They claim it can even mill steel, if slowly.) The basic unit is a dual-nozzle extruder RPS at $1700. Spindles for NC machining cost about another $500, which is pretty decent if they can make it work for that. They weren't showing it running, which means that (a) it isn't ready for prime time, or (b) they broke the prototype the night before the show. (*Demo Karma*: a well-known problem that I've suffered from once or twice myself.) Given my druthers, I'd probably prefer a 3D printer plus a NC Sherline mill, but that would be 3 or 4 times the price.

My most interesting conversation was with Ian of Dangerous Prototypes, who was showing the ever-popular Bus Pirate, a new power supply board, and a few specials. The Bus Pirate is sort of a Swiss Army knife for serial protocols--I have a couple, and they're dead useful. The power supply was really a breakout board for the ubiquitous ATX power supply, with a Molex connector for input and binding posts for output, plus some

1.25 A polyfuses to keep people's protos from catching fire.

The specials were serial-input Nixie tube displays (two tubes per board). They use HC595 shift registers and a Russian Nixie tube driver chip. I told him about the HP 5245L frequency counter, which uses cad selenide photoresistors to drive the digits, with neon bulbs shining on them for control. (I still have some of the digit plugins in my lab cupboard someplace--useless, but way too cool to throw away.)

There were a zillion Arduino shields, a whole bunch of fairly ordinary robots, and an amazing number of activities for kids, which was great. There were a fair number of tutorials and labs for aspiring hardware hackers, e.g. how to prototype, how to program Arduinos, and so on.

They advertised a steampunk section, but the only things there were some antique machines that didn't look as if they worked. Disappointing--I love real steampunk stuff.

So overall, a pretty good way to spend a few hours on a sunny Sunday, but not worth a whole weekend.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Sun, 30 Sep 2012 14:58:04 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

You may be interested in this:

Stereo lithography, laser based. Look at the examples to see the diffrence in quality with makerbot 2.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks.

A confusing site, and maybe vapourware--in one place it says "$1,214,421 pledged of $100,000 goal", and then later they claim that they can sell resin for less than 1/6 the cost of commercial sources. Riiiiggghhhttt.

They picked especially crappy examples of the other technique, but that's not reality any more. There's no indication that their giveaways are actually made on the tool that they're trying to build.

They're from the MIT Media Lab, which is the Heart of Darkness of vapourware.

As the old saying goes, "My slides will beat anybody else's shipping hardware."

I'm not buying any of it this year anyway--two kids in college is enough. Makerbot did have a big presence at the show, with about 6 or 8 of their new machines running continuously, and doing pretty good work, with surface finishes of probably 2 mils RMS or a bit better, which isn't bad for $2.5k.

(My old friend and former IBM boss Sam Batchelder invented the glue-gun approach to stereolithography back in about 1991, so I'm sort of a conoisseur, although I never did anything much to help that project. I have one of the earliest objects ever made by that technique on my lab shelf, circa 1992, and it looks a lot better than most of the ones Form1 is showing.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Oct 2012 07:32:55 -0400) it happened Jamie wrote in :

Yes that could work... Do you remember the CA3043? Anyways I can get that one and the TBA120 on ebay.. but one would think technology had improved since then.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

THe CA3034 looks like what is in my service monitor in the sweep section?

RCA had some nice IC's back then but I seem to remember that many of them were rebranded from others ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

On a sunny day (Sun, 07 Oct 2012 11:15:15 -0400) it happened Jamie wrote in :

CA3043 is a FM IF amplifier -limiter - quadrature detector. I used several of the CA series in the long ago past, CA3020, CA3028, all still on ebay but expensive...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

section?

Everybody did that along the line, can you say LM741? The RCA CA series not so much but some.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

yes, we have a fault circuit in a irradiation unit at work that houses 2 JMxxxxx hard to find Op-Amp part#, when you find it, they show a PDF of yet another LMxxx Op-amp that it's equal to, and still a strange duct. You look at the service schematic for that board and it shows a LM741 in both places. The JMxxxx PN has extra inputs, not used on this board. so basically, many of these off the wall IC's are just your garden variety, maybe hand picked from batches, who knows.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie