Aussie red wines are better than american red wines

You probably chose your parents carelessly. A couple of my relatives can't drink red wine because it gives them horrible indigestion, whose symptoms include - but are not limited to - a fierce headache.

The problem has been investigated by a Australian biochemist (who happens to be the husband of one of my aunts). He found that one of the chemical present in red wine reacted adversely with one of the chemicals in the bile produced by the victims of this syndrome - presumably the victims have a single-nucleotide polymorphism in the gene that codes for the relevant component of the bile.

I'll have to get his e-mail adress from my mother or one of his family and see if I can get a refernce to the publication (which probably predates single-nucleotide polymorphisms).

-------------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Some of them represent remarkable value for money - which is to say they haven't built up a reputation yet.

-------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Wolf Blass makes wines for Republicans - they are made to taste good if you drink them up as soon as you buy them, and they don't usually get better as they get older, which is exactly right for people who think exclusively in the short term.

It isn't the way you make the very best wines - Penfolds Grange (was Hermitage, until the French objected) should not really be drunk before it is ten years old, and in a twenty-odd year vertical tasting that I once attended, some of the oldest bottles were still getting better.

------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

[snip]

ROTFLMAO!

...Jim Thompson

I read in sci.electronics.design that Frank Bemelman wrote (in ) about 'Anti-freeze nonsense (Re: Aussie red wines ...)', on Tue, 4 Oct 2005:

Well, it IS an anodyne. (Traditionally useful if your prototype superheterodyne proved to be a very inferior heterodyne.)

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Al wrote (in ) about 'Aussie red wines are better than american red wines', on Wed, 5 Oct 2005:

Try paying more than $1 a bottle. (;-)

John Woodgate

Yes, that is part of the story that I omitted (as too arcane; little did I know ...). The episode was 30 years ago, and we were not nominally using anhydrous or "absolute" alcohol (which could have the benzene residue in those days) but rather the common 95% industrial product. Despite this, it could sometimes happen that someone shipped or used the anhydrous version, which was dangerous. Thus the labeling change was to protect the people drinking it as much as to protect the purity of our alcohol. (I don't even know if mentioning "benzene" would have discouraged the drinking. But "Final Anode Cleaning Solution" -- no thanks!)

Of course part of the background to this is that ethanol, costing at that time around USD 0.50 per gallon (four liters) industrially, required federal tax if sold for drinking, which would raise the price (from the raw industrial product) circa 100 times. (Of course if someone pilfered it, it was cheaper yet.) This big spread in prices is why industrial ethanol is not sold to the general public in the US.

Thanks for particulars, Mark. (This recalls the late Larry Lippman, one of the most constructive contributors in the history of newsgroups. During their Glory Days -- before HTTP tools, when newsgroups were THE fora on the Internet -- he hung out on sci.chem and quietly added useful, informed comments there and to other newsgroups, including sci.electronics.)

Reply to
Max Hauser

;-)

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Red wine comes in a bottle and not in those plastic jugs in a cardboard box??

Al

Reply to
Al

I read in sci.electronics.design that Max Hauser wrote (in ) about 'Anti-freeze nonsense (Re: Aussie red wines ...)', on Thu, 6 Oct 2005:

You carefully disguised the FACS?

John Woodgate

:-)

Reply to
Donald

It isn't a plastic jug, but a plastic sack - as you take the wine out, the sack collapses, so you don't expose the wine to atmospheric oxygen, and it doesn't turn to vinegar. IIRR this is a patented Australian invention, and - in my experience - only the Australians sell decent wine in these casks.

About six months ago, our local (Dutch) supermarket starting selling casks of Lindemans (Australian) Shiraz and Chardonay, and we promptly started buying them. It isn't great wine, but it won't give you a headache (unless you drink the Shiraz and have the wrong sort of bile acids) and it is streets ahead of the stuff you find in the other casks on offer at the supermarket, which we run into at student parties and other poverty-stricken events.

--------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Agreed. We don't buy Grange. I did buy a case of Magill Estate back in the 1980's, when they first introduced it, but that is as close as I've got. I think we've got a couple of bottles of Grange laying around somewhere - my wife got them as presents back when Grange wasn't a status symbol.

Probably the best red in our cellar at the moment is a Tim Adams Aberfeldy, which we bought in the Netherlands (!) from New World Wines, who import that sort of Australian wine, mostly to sell to up-market restaurants.

----------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Most winemakers worldwide are doing precisely that right now, not just Wolf Blass.

Grange is very good, but far from the best red made in Australia. It's massively overpriced compared to some wines preferred by more knowledgable folk, and is consequently only actually *drunk* by complete tossers. Many others use it as an investment however, as there's not likely to be a shortage of said tossers anytime soon.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

At those higher prices I can't afford a headache.

Reply to
rinaldo180

Hmm - I just realized I work at a factory, and we use lots of solvents, since they do machining and welding on exotic materials for military aircraft and stuff; so I thought I'd look it up and see if I can find any vendors - The first page of Google hits is about alternative fuels!

But then you'd have to pay road tax. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Q: Do you know the difference between a connoisseur and a wino?

A: The connoisseur takes the bottle out of the paper sack before he drinks it.

--
Cheers!
Rich

Decent wine, perhaps (but that definition likely will beg the question). The $5/5l boxed wines have had mylar bladders for *years* here. Bars have similar setups, but under CO2 pressure and "pour" through a gun. I'd be really surprised if there is an enforcable patent on such a thing.

--
  Keith
Reply to

$5 for 5 litres is too cheap to be worth drinking (unless you are an alcoholic).

I was told about the patent on the collapsible bag in the box sometime around 1980, so it has certainly expired by now.

----------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman