Aussie red wines are better than american red wines

  • * * Re. diethelene glycol
    Potential Health Effects

---------------------------------- Ingestion: Low acute toxicity. Probable lethal dose to humans is 0.5-5 g/kg. Causes nerve depression, liver and kidney lesions and anuria (urination retardation). Causes irritation to the gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Skin Contact: May be an irritant to skin on prolonged exposure. Eye Contact: May be an irritant to eyes and surrounding tissue. Chronic Exposure: Liver and kidney lesions and damage. Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions: Persons with pre-existing skin disorders or eye problems or impaired liver or kidney function may be more susceptible to the effects of the substance.

  • * * Do you really want to ingest it?
  1. Blood concentrations of ethylene and diethylene glycol were evaluated in Sprague-Dawley rats at varying intervals following oral dosages of the glycols. 2. Ethylene and diethylene glycol in rat blood stored under refrigeration at 4 degrees +/- 10 degrees C for a period of 30 days exhibited minimal concentration losses, contrary to previous reports. 3. The amount of oxalate in the blood and kidneys of Sprague-Dawley rats doses with ethylene and diethylene glycol was quantitated. The animals dosed with ethylene glycol demonstrated significantly higher oxalate levels, particularly at 8 hr post-dosing, than similar animals dosed with diethylene glycol. 4. Ethylene glycol induced oxalate deposition within the kidney without significant histologic changes. Diethylene glycol induced histologic changes within the kidneys without kidney oxalate deposition. 5. Maximal kidney oxalate levels, following ethylene glycol dosage, occurred concurrently with peak blood oxalate concentrations. In the case of diethylene glycol, kidney oxalate levels did not peak until 4 hr after maximal blood oxalate levels. 6. Ethylene and diethylene glycol induced different modes of death in Sprague-Dawley rats.
  • * * Is it really a food additive? I.e., is the monoethyl ether the same as DEG?
    DIETHYLENE GLYCOL MONOETHYL ETHER

Biological Data

BIOCHEMICAL ASPECTS

Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether administered orally or subcutaneously in doses of 3-5 ml/kg BW to rabbits produced an increased urinary excretion of glucuronic acid. This increase could account for only 0.8-2.3% of the dose administered. (Fellows et al., 1946)

  • * * Do you really want to take a chance?
    Encephalopathy and peripheral neuropathy following diethylene glycol ingestion

The authors report a 24-year-old man who developed encephalopathy and rapid quadriplegia following ingestion of a solution containing diethylene glycol (DEG). As quadriparesis evolved, motor response amplitudes were markedly reduced with preserved conduction velocities. Studies during clinical recovery revealed marked motor conduction velocity slowing and prolonged distal latencies. These data indicate that DEG intoxication may cause a primary acute axonal sensorimotor polyneuropathy with demyelinating physiology during recovery.

  • * * Sounds like this stuff *is* toxic.
    Editorial Note Editorial Note: DEG, a known nephrotoxin and hepatotoxin, is used in industrial solvents and antifreeze. The mechanism of toxicity is unknown but probably is different from oxalate toxicity associated with ethylene glycol poisoning. Management of patients with DEG toxicity relies on early diagnosis with supportive and symptomatic care for multi-organ failure. Although data on outcome are limited, survival with resolution of signs and symptoms has been reported (1).
  • * * Toxicity not high?
    In 1985 a scandal broke when diethylene glycol appeared to be added as an adulterant by a number of vintners of Austrian white wines, in order to make them sweeter and upgrade the dry wines to sweet wines; production of sweet wines is expensive and addition of sugar is easy to detect. The amount added was not high enough to be immediately toxic (one would have to ingest about 28 bottles per day for two weeks), however the adverse worldwide publicity caused very high export losses and led to adoption of severe wine laws in Austria.

-- ================================================= Do you like wine? Do you live in South Florida? Visit the MIAMI WINE TASTERS group at

Leo Bueno

Enjoy your DEG then!

I may not understand this stuff too well, but *lethal* toxicity may be just *one* of the issues to consider.

Leaving aside the consideration that lethal toxicity is determined in

*animals* not on wine drinkers, I, for example, treasure my liver and neurons, so prefer to have my wine with as few additives as possible.

Hey, but look at the bright side: DEG laced w>Twit. DEG is less toxic than the ethanol .

-- ================================================= Do you like wine? Do you live in South Florida? Visit the MIAMI WINE TASTERS group at

Leo Bueno

I wouldn't touch DEG with a barge pole, but the lethal dose of DEG is higher than the lethal dose of ethanol.

High doses of ethanol can be lethal, and persistent lower doses will wreck your liver and your nervous system - I'm not claiming that DEG is safe, but rather that ethanol is somewhat more dangerous than most people like to think

You'd be better off drinking spirits - there are a lot more higher alcohols in wine than there are in distilled spirits. The distillation process does get rid of a lot of the water content of yur wine, but it gets rid of a much hgher proportion of the higher alcohols, organics acids, aldeydes and ketones which you find in wine.

The concentrations of DEG in wine were much too low for the wine to serves as a useful anti-freeze

-------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Human Health Effects from Hazardous Substances Data Bank (HSDB)

Keep enjoying your DEG!

-- ================================================= Do you like wine? Do you live in South Florida? Visit the MIAMI WINE TASTERS group at

Leo Bueno

Yes, the proposition was essentially comic, though I was making the serious point that it is a bit silly to get upset about DEG when there are a number of other interesting and moderately toxic organic chemicals in a glass of wine.

They tend to make a point of using single pot stills, though the fine brandies and whiskies do seem to be doubled distilled. If you want to know exactly what goes on, see

The process does concentrate the ethanol vis-a-vis the other organic compounds, though the fraction rejected is lower than it is for water.

Nobody is objecting to these substances, but they are probably more toxic than DEG, not that it matters.

It may seem ridiculous to you, but they do offer more ethanol per unit congener than wine, and are - in that sense - more pure and somewhat safer. Serious alcoholics take advantage of this to ingest more ethanol per unit hangover, so the "safety" is moot.

Vodka is an extreme case - IIRR it is filtered through activated carbon to get rid of most of the residual congeners - though it isn't chemically pure. Alcoholic chemists drink "spectroscopic" ethanol (cut with water) which comes closer to the ideal.

----------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Is this meant in jest? There are aldehydes and ketones with boiling points quite close to that of ethanol, and more than a few that azeotrope with water. I don't think that most distillers are using spinning band columns. And who says that those substances are doing anything more nefarious than adding bouquet and flavor? Ketones are generally considered quite non-toxic, which is a good thing considering the number of them which occur as metabolic intermediates in the tricarboxylic acid cycle. Aldehydes in wine are rapidly scavenged from solution by the crosslinking of polyphenols. The organic acids such as malic, lactic and tartaric are essential components of a properly balanced wine.

This is not to say that I have anything against distilled spirits, but viewing them as any more safe or pure than wine (except for vodka, which is as close to dilute grain alcohol as modern technology can get) seems ridiculous to me.

Mark Lipton

Reply to
Mark Lipton

Who cares - its just flavoured alcohol........

Andrew VK3BFA.

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

in news: snipped-for-privacy@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Years ago I worked in a lab that used pure ethanol routinely as a cleaning solvent (in physics experiments involving various metals). Problem was, the squeeze bottles of alcohol kept somehow acquiring a lot of water, which ruined the alcohol for the intended use. Some late-night maintenance employees had taken to helping themselves to the alcohol, and making up the volume with water. So the bottles got re-labeled Final Anode Cleaning Solution. They didn't touch that.

Since then, I've been extra wary of over-emphasis on labels rather than content.

Cheers -- Max

Reply to
Max Hauser

And integrated circuits are just doped silicon.

-------- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

"Max Hauser" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

the

the

Hmm. Good idea. I think I am going to clean my Anode now. With some Glennfiddich Anode Cleaner.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Red wine (often) gives me a bellyache.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Yes, but your heart will be fine.

:-)

Reply to
Donald

I bet they wouldn't if they knew that "Final Anode Cleaning Solution" contained benzene. IIRC ethanol/water can't be distilled ~95% ethanol and benzene is added as a "drying agent". The benzene/water is distilled off, but there is some left (a few ppm).

--
  Keith
Reply to

I prefer South American wines.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at Neopax

Red wine IS a very good anti-oxidant. AND I like Wolf Blass reds ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Red wine gives me a headache.

Al

Reply to
Al

contained

That used to be true. Ethanol distills as a 95:5 azeotrope with water. Removal of that 5% residual water was accomplished by azeotroping it with benzene, which forms a 91:9 azeotrope with water that boils at lower temperature than the ethanol-water azeotrope, but trace amounts of residual benzene were inevitably present in the "absolute ethanol" produced. Nowadays, the removal of water is accomplished with zeolites, so no benzene is present in commercially produced absolute ethanol.

Mark Lipton

Reply to
Mark Lipton

I'll look for it. Is it from Oz?

...Jim Thompson

Can you get GREG NORMAN ESTATES in Phoenix ??

The Cabernet Merlot 2001 is one of my favorites.

Donald

Reply to
Donald

My daily morning 2 mile walk that takes about 40 minutes takes care of that.

Al

Reply to
Al