Audiophools

Skin effect is just around the corner. For 50/60Hz you can't use cables thicker than -say- an avarage thumb.

Mathew Orman should have turned his FTL cable into an audiophool product. The sound comes out before it actually enters the cable :-))

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

So true. Recently I had a discussion with somebody who didn't want to accept the fact that a light bulb acting as a speaker fuse in a bass-guitar amplifier is a hobbyist solution, a fire hazzard and adds a lot of distortion (soft clipping).

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Bogosity is the inverse of believability in the "Rationalized" MKS.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark L. Fergerson

Firefox can't find the server. This one works though:

(Notice they do knives etc., where the process is worthwhile.)

But there's an obvious problem; they "realign" the molecules in your cables, CDs (so the read laser isn't fooled by those pesky refractive index variations left over when the polycarb cools in the mold; never mind the digital read process was designed from the get-go to ignore them), _and_ your vacuum tubes for you (the "resonance" of the tubes is "reduced") and you're supposed to then use them in a non-temp-controlled environment? Has nobody told these people about the extreme change in their sound with a fraction of a degree change in the hardware?

I hereby predict the next major Audiphool "advance"; full-system LN2 immersion refrigeration one-upping radical overclocking!

Somebody will have to design speakers that allow the sound to make a "clean" transition from the cooled system to the warm room... get in on the ground floor now!

Well, that's kinda the definition of audiophool...

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark L. Fergerson

Not exactly rf but you might be interested in my reference 14 here:

Wes Stewart

I take it you haven't seen those class A constant current source type power amps (power meaning dissipation, not output power).

Something under 10% efficiency.

Tim

Tim Williams

Yes, that's exactly why they use such relays, very handy.

Ignoramus8946

Teciicnally, adding some silver plaating would minutely add some resistance.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Seeing as you're wrong on all counts I understand why he disagreed.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Does anyone actually buy this stuff? I use a bit of "twin & earth" on mine, sounds ok to me.

Reply to
cbarn24050

T&E makes excellent speaker cable.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

And more as it tarnished.

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

The old saw is that if you have to ask "how much", then you cannot afford it.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Actually, silver plating does enhance conductivity. It is widely used for very high current bus bar connections. Even a very thin plating can reduce voltage drop significantly. Silver is soft, so it displaces under pressure and creates a larger contact area, which reduces resistance. Silver sulphide is more conductive than copper oxide, so a tarnished surface is not a big problem for silver. Check

for some details. You can also get small electroplating kits from
I have tried their silver plating system, and I have the workshop kit which includes gold, nickel, chrome, and other metals, but have not used it except for silver.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

scams.

You do realize that any other standard duplex receptacle in your residence might feed distortion back into the wiring system. Therefore, all your receptacles must be swapped for these.

It is not enough to succeed.  Others must fail. -- Gore Vidal
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"Eeyore" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

But also more resistance to oxidation, right?

Reply to
mc

Why stop at the entrance to your house? Rewire the neighbors' houses that are on the same transformer. Scrutinize the wiring from the transformer to the next higher-voltage one. And all the way back to the generating station...

Reply to
mc
[snip]

Of course.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

"Elevator (individual)" "Need that one extra. Buy elevators individually. Now with rubbers! Enjoy safe sound, and protect your floor with new rubber couplers."

Yeah, we wouldn't want to have audio REPRODUCTION.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:27:00 +0100, Eeyore Gave us:

Not. Remember skin effect? Not that that even matters... The transition region between the silver and copper will not matter... either...

SPC is LOWER resistance than standard stranded copper wire.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs