Culinary delights !

Since food so often manages to get introduced into the thread here and many of us clearly enjoy our repasts I wondered.....

Are engineers foodies ?

Do engineers make good cooks ? I suspect so since it is actually quite a scientific process. I've found that slow cooked meat for example is so much more yummy but many ppl try and almost set fire to the stuff and then look perplexed at the result.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

It might be that engineers pay attention to detail. And are experienced in finetuning physical processes. You can't cheat in physics, reality will bite without exempt. No appeals there :-)

That is if the engineer aren't too busy to think about other stuff..

Btw, please use OT: if it is of such nature.

Reply to
pbdelete

Designing electronics makes a boy hungry.

Sometimes a steak or a hunk of catfish should be incinerated on the outside and still rarish inside. Lots of things taste good with gradients.

My wife is a pretty good cook, but I seem to have a better sense of time-and-temperature. She's a little timid about heat, and tends to poach things, whereas I'll blast them for just the right time [1] to get the crunchy-tender thing right. I, as a visual-spatial guy, also have a better sense of volume and proportion... I know which bowl will just hold the leftovers or how many eggs to throw into the fried rice. She'll tend to cook the same amount for six people as for two.

I usually do the final spicing, too, but that's probably because I grew up in New Orleans.

I just finished making a big bowl of potato salad to bring to a potluck later this evening. Tomorrow I plan to cook a big pot of red beans and rice, which takes all day.

Anybody want my recipe for custard bread pudding? Bananas Foster? [2]

John

[1] a propane blowtorch and a hammer are basic kitchen tools. [2] no, it does NOT contain any aussie beer!

more

Do you need to be told that "Culinary delights" is off topic?

John

more

I'm not quite into blackened when it comes to steak, but fish... yummy.

Visual-spatial? Same here.

"N" is finally getting the portions right for just the two of us, but that's not surprising... for more than half our married life there's been six of us... and young males vacuum up food.

Anything special you do with the red beans and rice? I'd like your recipe.

Sure. Both.

I use an automotive rubber-covered mallet ;-)

When I was lecturing in Melbourne "N" walked by the Foster's brewery... the steps were littered with drunks. Maybe they give out copious free samples ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

of

more

perplexed

LOL ! You saved me a direct response.

I had hoped it might be self-explanatory !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

more

perplexed

Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Not that I know of. "N" seems to have stumbled on some kind of special occasion. The Melbourne police are not fond of drunks, and tend to tidy them away rather briskly in the normal course of events.

Foster's Lager isn't all that popular in Australia - Victoria Bitter (also brewed by the Fosters Group in Melbourne) has the highest market share.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to
bill.sloman

of

more

perplexed

That link never works for me

Reply to
The Real Andy

Perhpas? Engineers eat food.

more

I am not an engineer, kinda. I did half (3/4) of a degree, and now work as a software engineer. But i do like my food and i still dablly with electronics professional. Perhaps I could be called a defacto engineer? Anyhow, i like slow cooked food, infact, i have started a curry tonigth that will not get consumed for another 2 nights. Is that slow enough?

I also learned the secret of yanke ribs tonight by watching lifestyle food. 4+ hours of cooking. That I will try this weekend.

If one does not pay attention to detail, one has a failed product (software and hardware).

I think about food, beer and fishing. I also think about sex, but being a married man it does not come as often as I would like, so I also think about sailing, which i do. However, at the end of the day, i eat food, so water aside, i think food is my primary thought process.

But is it off topic?

Reply to
The Real Andy

The Guru misspelled his own link, "twinkie" works. ;-)

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams