Audio Delay Circuit

With a modern drive you could probably have a 7 *day* delay !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I didn\'t mean that _specific_ codec;  you could use any low-end
voice grade codec for the job.  Or, build one out of glue logic if
push came to shove.
Reply to
John Fields

You'd have to add another head carriage, and I'd think it'd be a bitch to align it with the original, but then again, they might get their servo signals from the read head itself - in the old 14" 10-platters-for-300 MB drives, they had a whole nother head to read the servo tracks.

And yeah, if all you're doing is audio, you could probably spin it at about 4 RPM, with today's heads. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

A month or two?

250E9 bytes/(44Ksamples/S * 2bytes/sample * 3600sec/hr * 24hrs/day) = 33 days
--
  Keith
Reply to

Why go to all this bother? Tivo works wit cheap IDE drives. FIFO the data at both ends and let the drive do its thing.

How are you going to extract the clock and servo data at that speed?

--
  Keith
Reply to

You don't need them - you're only using one track, with three fixed heads, like a tape loop, and you just run your audio to the write head and read it off the read head, and run the disk so slowly that it acts like the tape in a tape loop, i.e., the surface is going maybe 3 ips. Then the delay is set by how far apart the heads are. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Do you understand how modern disks work? ...and why would you go through such gyrations when a couple of *cheap* (maybe free) FIFOs will do all the work with a $40 drive? Sheesh!

--
  Keith
Reply to

Tape loop sceptics could look at:

"To pass over the looping tape "safely" you had to use this ladder..."

"Short loops are very easy in the UCSC Studio. Above each tape deck there is a counterweighted pulley on a string . . . The very longest loops require the use of a microphone stand. Thread the loop around one or two pulleys and a mic stand placed where it will do the most good. In cramped quarters you can pass the loop through pulleys and then back over your shoulder."

wemjoker.htm "Preamp with integral tape loop echo"

HA! Fooled me, this one is a fake. Software emulation of a tape loop!!! "Karlette is a realtime VST tape-loop echo emulation plug-in"

"An Intro to Analog Tape Splicing and Editing and Tape Loops"

selmer5_photos__p5.htm "
selmer5_photos__p5.htm"

Reply to
anybody43

"If one sings into the first recorder and has this feedback running, one can start to sing in polyphony with oneself...."

That's what I want to do. A one-man babershop quartet. ;-P

Couldn't that be done with some software and an ordinary sound board?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence