Assembly -- SMD vs THT cost

I plan on doing 2 boards for a project, one with all through hole (so I can build my prototype for one) and SMD on the other.

If eventually I have these assembled by whoever (in China) just 100 pcs or so, I was wondering if the cost of assembly would be about the same (or maybe more for THT?).

I'm just talking assembly, not the cost of parts, which I'll get myself.

Do most places still do through hole?

Or maybe they cringe when someone asks for through hole?

-- thanks

Reply to
mkr5000

Den onsdag den 3. august 2016 kl. 19.27.34 UTC+2 skrev mkr5000:

why do two versions? just do it all in smd if it is simple enough to do in TH it is easy to do in smd

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

I suppose he is thinking it will be easier to rework the board if through hole. I don't use DIPs at all if I can avoid it, even connectors unless they will be subject to lots of insertions/withdrawls. My assembly house has to hand place through hole parts.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Right! mikerbgr should absolutely stick to SMT. If he makes his SMT design with 0805 resistors and caps, and so8 and sot-23 or larger ICs, he will have relatively easy hand soldering for his prototype and the assembly houses will be happy.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Well for one, as I said in the post so I (as in me) can build my prototype.

And there are some advantages to having THT as I have a shitload of through hole parts.

Reply to
mkr5000

but I think you answered my question Rick -- go with SMD

Reply to
mkr5000

How many parts per board?

The board I'm having done now costs about $230 per, for assembly. I'm only building 30, so it's mostly setup charges. The board has just under 800 parts on it, with something like 150 part numbers.

I doubt it, in small quantities.

Reply to
krw

Most parts are too cheap to worry about. It's not at all unusual to have PnP cost more than the part itself, particularly at low volumes.

Reply to
krw