Advanced Assembly - experiences?

Has anyone had positive or negative experiences with Advanced Assembly in Aurora, CO?

I am having a few protos assembled for a customer, and although I don't normally handle the production aspect of these projects, they have asked me to gather the quotes and select a vendor. The board is mostly surface mount, with some machine-placeable through-hole relays and some hand-insert connectors. Only one fine-pitch IC (64TQFP), no BGAs or other leadless devices.

Thanks for any feedback.

Reply to
larwe

Noway2

I got an e-mail solicitation from these guys "because you purchased a product/service or subscribed on our web site". They are in Aurora, CO, so I thought they were associated with Advanced Circuits (who I've been dealing with for years). Anyway, I got an e-mail from Advanced Circuits the next day stating "Advanced Circuits is not, either directly or indirectly, through common ownership or otherwise, related to Advanced Assembly."

I don't know what's going on, but I don't think I'll be giving them my credit card number.

-Hershel

Reply to
Hershel Roberson

Price and ability to meet leadtime requirements. Unfortunately I never usually get involved at this level - I hand-assemble my own prototypes, this is a special case. So I don't know who to trust.

Reply to
larwe

Me too (on all aspects of this paragraph). However I did spend a while searching for and submitting assy RFQs for something else a while ago, so I assumed my details came through that operation.

Yeah, I have that letter from John Yacoub archived on my PDA actually.

It seems that if AA actually exists, they aren't keen for money because they didn't respond to me beyond a form letter. Next, please.

Reply to
larwe

Hello Lewin,

It is sometimes amazing how careless some folks are with potential customers. This includes some rather large EU semi mfgs that consequently made it onto my "non-preferred" list. IOW I will only use their parts if there is no other option.

Anyway, it's been a long time since I used a domestic assembler and I could only help with a contact in China but I guess that wouldn't do you much good for a quick proto run. If you get really stuck let me know and I'll ask around in my network. Some consultants there do small runs and are dealing with domestic assemblers.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Ditto. ISTR that a few weeks prior, AC had also sent out a notice that a couple of their sales guys had jumped ship with their customer list, and customers beware. It makes you wonder if the events are related.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

AHA! I never got that notice. Suddenly all the pieces fall into place :)

Reply to
larwe