Self Driving Taxi to be Tested

I think this is the way autonomous vehicles will ultimately be used. No point in owning a car when you don't need to drive. Call a "taxi" from you phone and it takes you where you want to go at a fraction of the cost of owning a car. When you arrive the car returns to the "pool" and someone else uses it or it recharges.

This can eliminate parking in the city since the car won't be waiting for you, it will be carrying more people. So many aspects of car use will change, especially in the city.

Rick C
Reply to
rickman

In the US unfortunately, if they tried that the main question would be "Who do you sue in case of an accident ?".

So the article says it rains over there like in Florida eh ? I was down the re a few times and you just don't go out in the afternoons. It rains every day, and the drivers who are out there are pissed off that they have to be out there. It is hot and humid as a steam bath and mind you I was in the Or lando area and Longwood which are both higher elevation. I imagine other pl aces down there are like a swamp.

Nice place to visit, in the winter when it is zero degrees up here. There a re a couple of things I don't like, first of all it is Bible belt, and then watching the TV the news anchor said "The legislature passed a law making it a crime to...". Bullshit, it is either a crime or it is not, they made it illegal. If it is a crime it always was and they were remiss in their du ty to outlaw it. If it is not a real crime it is them rent seeking. Either way, keep it. I am not saying Ohio is better, but I do know how to deal wit h the assholes up here.

Same for Singapore. I correspond with one of them and she likes it. She fee ls safe and secure, people have jobs and cars, but you can be thrown in jai l for spitting on the sidewalk. Know what ? They do not want your spit on t he bottom of their shoe where it will get tracked into the house and onto t he carpet where their kid crawls around. Extremely clean people. Their coun ty is not for me. But apparently it is for them.

But if the traffic in Singapore is like I have been told, that is an excell ent test for an automated driver. The tests we have had here required a hum an at the wheel, which makes it worthless. If they can make it really work for real, more power to them.

Reply to
jurb6006

The fact that you are raising that issue means you have little familiarity with the issue. At least one potential autonomous car supplier has indicated that while the car is in autonomous mode, they would provide insurance for any accidents which were the fault of the car.

You seem to project a lot of emotion to others who you don't know.

Wow! You are acting a bit "out there" with this.

Not sure what you mean by "here", but autonomous cars have been tested with no drivers while on public roads in the US. There was an account of one that was pulled over by a cop for driving slowly and holding up traffic. There was no one in the car to write the ticket to.

--

Rick C
Reply to

"Who do you sue in case of an accident ?".

Self-driving or not.

Driver, Owner, Auto maker. Insurance is just a third party.

y with the issue. At least one potential autonomous car supplier has indic ated that while the car is in autonomous mode, they would provide insurance for any accidents which were the fault of the car.

And my insurance company Metromile said that they will insure self-driving cars. I think they are already doing that for Uber.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

If the owner pays for insurance, I bet the liability rates are lower than for human drivers.

--

Rick C
Reply to

e "Who do you sue in case of an accident ?".

rity with the issue. At least one potential autonomous car supplier has in dicated that while the car is in autonomous mode, they would provide insura nce for any accidents which were the fault of the car.

ing cars. I think they are already doing that for Uber.

Yes, for sure. Biggest cost is for lawyers. Auto makers have their own. Actually, employer's of driver can also be sued. In the case of self-drivi ng, one can argue that the auto maker is the employer.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee