Are hybrid parameters useful for design?

be

Please to remember all of the s, h, y, z, etc parameters are usually small signal linearizations. They fail at large signal and non-linear situations which actually are of equal occurrence in design. For instance they won't help you at all designing a class D or class S amplifier. Nor much for digital design.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I have done so twice. Once on my own work for my edification (a waste of time), and once for work when i didn't have spice to do the work for me (rather painful and marginally worth it). Both were long ago.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

had

for practical purposes the ac-current gain and so-called static current gain are identical. This follows because IC in ratio to IB by factor hFE makes deviation in IC, ic, to deviation in IB, ib, that same ratio, of hfe=hFE. This is why the only distinction between hFE and hfe is one of analytical notation, and /also/ why the datasheet specification is so widely used for both. And this has nothing to do with hFE variation with VCE, Early effect, and level of current injection IB.

John

the

distinct somehow.

numerically.

range with guardbanding and, hopefully a 'typical' hFE variation with IC,Q. The hfe whenever presented are usually typical, at fixed IC,Q and VEC,Q and freq, and should be larger than hFE at Q-point because it doesn't have to contend with that small cut-in region where hFE trends to 0.

mentally computing a hybrid-pi. The BE diffusion capacitance can be a biggie with finite source impedance drive, and, God forbid, you might even use Miller's Rule here and there to do a quick estimate of bandwidth and rise times.

Most apps just need a voltage and beta at some current. Sometimes power dissipation is an issue, thetas and stuff. Bipolars are too slow for anything interesting.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
[snip]

Yep. I was already building circuits that "worked", BEFORE I went off to M.I.T. My M.I.T. course-work provided the analytical tools to hone my capabilities. ...Jim Thompson

distinct somehow.

current.

Nope, noise cancellers are sensitive to the difference between h_FE and h_fe at a single value of collector current.

The reason is that the balance criterion is a DC value, but it's the fluctuations that we want to have cancel. See Eq. 10 in my paper, "Ultrasensitive Laser Measurements Without Tears",

.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Mentoring is very important, but so is analysis.

My son Simon interned with me this summer. I also visit universities periodically, but my main way of doing that is in print.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have often offered a "drop by" invitation. Anyone who wants to come and look over my shoulder is welcome... just advise when, I may be out-of-town. ...Jim Thompson

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 11:43:48 -0400, Phil Hobbs wrote: [...]

But analytical abilities can also sure be mentored :)

Reading can not just compare with mentoring.

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 09:12:48 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote: [...]

Really, I think I will have a bout of depression :( I was to go to Queens University of Belfast, Northern Ireland, for an M.Sc. in Opto-elec, but was denied visa (potential immigrant), in 1995. In those days in India you could never have the best education money could buy. Privatisation of education has picked up since the 2000's, but is in no way encouraging like the west. Talking to you guys, and such prospects of mentoring?! Oh, God! Why I am a third-world citizen!

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay

Have posted combined replies to PH's post and yours

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay

Optoelectronics? Read Phil's book. If you can't get a copy, let me know and I'll send you one.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

How much do you charge for that service?

Reply to
John S

I think its too late for an Indian (never late for a US citizen :) ) . Priorities and realities have changed. But thanks for your nice gesture.

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay

What I meant was, if you are giving them away, I want one.

Reply to
John S

Order one from Amazon. I offered one to Rajib on the condition that he couldn't get one easily himself.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:04:29 -0700, John Larkin wrote: [...]

Dear JL, The book,"All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide" by Harry Kybett & Earl Boysen is precisely the book I have been looking for. The chain that began with my choice to do something about my ignorance in the history of computing led me here, and you all have led an active role in making me reach here. I have also ordered "electronics designs manual" by Markus and hope to use it for analysis. I choose this precise circumstance, when one man extends his hands to the other in pure benevolence, feeling good about it and expecting nothing in return, to thank you all. My best regards

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay