Are hybrid parameters useful for design?

ter

igm of meritocracy and not its absence. Meritocracy is a political term whi ch describes the selection process for administration positions as being b ased on standardized test screening, aka civil service examinations, versus personal and/or political party affiliation.

I know more about the meaning of meritocracy than he does, that's for sure. And claiming to know "more" than him is nearly vaccuous as he seems distur bed- if he's even Indian, or maybe just some f'ing troll from some Anglo wa ste dump somewhere.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

:

ion

no

etter

ts

try

ic

radigm of meritocracy and not its absence. Meritocracy is a political term which describes the selection process for administration positions as bein g based on standardized test screening, aka civil service examinations, ver sus personal and/or political party affiliation.

The very word has its origins in government administration and not non-gove rnmental professions. How damned dumb are you? Here's a brief overview even you should be able to understand, unless you question the authority of OPM :

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The other cool thing is LEDs. Kids love LEDs, which leads them into Ohm's Law and so on.

I love LEDs.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Ok, no one answered me about my curiosity about using a laser diode as a detector.. so, i will conduct some R&D of my own, since I have a few of them here to play with.

I was just curious if the laser diode would have a PV/PR effect like LEDS do and to what extent. Also, how would they hold up with a laser looking straight at them?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Please do not argue on my behalf. I have learnt to ignore off-topic arguments. It serves no purpose. BTW, I just posted my observation, without putting my anguish and frustration behind it. Self-criticism is an inner compass. It helps improve. It identifies what's ailing...

Don't ask! Another round of verbal abuse would ensue, and veer off-topic. Regarding meritocracy:

  1. an elite group of people whose progress is based on ability and talent rather than on class privilege or wealth.
  2. a system in which such persons are rewarded and advanced: The dean believes the educational system should be a meritocracy.
  3. a social system formed on such a basis
  4. Cultural Dictionary: A government or society in which citizens who display superior achievement are rewarded with positions of leadership. In a meritocracy, all citizens have the opportunity to be recognized and advanced in proportion to their abilities and accomplishments. The ideal of meritocracy has become controversial because of its association with the use of tests of intellectual ability, such as the Scholastic Aptitude Test, to regulate admissions to elite colleges and universities. Many contend that an individual's performance on these tests reflects his or her social class and family environment more than ability.

Origin: meritocracy Look up meritocracy at Dictionary.com coined 1958 by British sociologist Michael Young (1915?2002) and used in title of his book, "The Rise of the Meritocracy"; from merit (n.) + - cracy. Related: Meritocratic.

Now the question is: Has any word remained true to its original meaning much later than when it was coined?

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay

dic

You exemplify the semi-educated idiot for whom a little bit of knowledge is dangerous. The original use of the word by Young was satiric and critical of the coming social system in the UK. The problem is obviously with the se lf-perpetuating meritocratic ruling class and the relevance and consequence s of their so-called measure of merit from a social science perspective. He re is an article written by Michael Young himself, but I doubt your reading comprehension is up to it.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

[...]

Hi Jamie,

Not been following thread, but you do know most of them have an actual real photodiode built into them?

I think the LD bit will have a "PV" effect, since they work like LEDs below the lasing threshold AFAIK. But Phil will know.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Sure, a LD is bound to work as a detector at some level. You'd be a lot better off with a LED, though, if you don't want to use a photodiode--the sensitive area of an ordinary LD will be a couple of orders of magnitude smaller than even a LED's.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA
+1 845 480 2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, that was precisely what I wanted to know. That then brings our discussion to an end. Can I write to your email-Id., instead of posting in open forum, if I have a query? I could then move away from this topic. Thanks for your co-operation, JL, TW, PH, Miso, Bitrex, Jamie, JD & legg. It felt nice reading your posts. Regards

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay

Trying to restrict topic drift on SED? Completely doomed, sorry.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Could you talk about your experience in Spice? By Prototyping do you mean building the circuit physically in order to check its characteristics?

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay

So it seems :) You could at least have added a smiley! The big jolt would then have appeared relatively softer ;) Well, have to bear with the drift then :)

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay

I do most of my circuit design in my head--you don't need to be a math genius to figure resistor ratios and operating points, or even shot noise limited SNRs on the fly--just a few rules of thumb, e.g. that a 60 ohm resistor has a

1-Hz Johnson noise of a nanovolt, or that 3 uA of photocurrent has a 1-Hz shot noise of a picoamp.

I do a lot of photon budgets and other feasibility calculations analytically, e.g. figuring out how low the capacitance from the hot node to ground has to be before a bootstrap will do an adequate job, or how low an amplifier's noise has to be to get low enough noise with a capacitive source. Math programs like Mathcad are nice for that, because these days I usually need to make a nice document for the customer as well as getting the right answer.

I use Spice for things that I'm not sure about, mostly strongly nonlinear stuff or at high frequencies where there are a lot of contributions of roughly the same strength, which makes analysis more difficult. A recent example is an AC tweaking circuit for laser noise cancellers, where I get a tweak proportional to f**2 by adjusting the loop gain of a local feedback loop wrapped round a current mirror. That would have been possible to do analytically, but since there are a couple of interacting feedback loops, I would have been less confident without Spice.

I also use Spice for sanity checking sometimes too, but I rarely simulate an entire circuit. I work alone, so I don't have a colleague in the next office who can sanity-check stuff for me, and that means I have to be super-careful about not making stupid mistakes.

In electronics you have lots of blocks with high impedance inputs and low impedance outputs, which means that almost all the interactions you have to worry about are local. (In optics we're not that lucky.)

And SED is actually a great place to hang out and discuss electronics. Just ignore the lizards snapping at your ankles--none of them have any teeth to speak of.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Re prototyping: Datasheets have deteriorated so very badly that prototyping is more necessary now than it was 10 years ago, IME. JL mentioned the problem of RF parts having very few DC specs, which is one I run into all the time. I also do a lot of niche things, e.g. using an SA614 limiter/detector IC with its RSSI output wrapped round to the gate of a MOSFET variable attenuator, to get wider dynamic range in a tactical optical communications system for DARPA. You can't do that based on data sheets, or even SPICE models--you have to prototype, and do intelligent engineering characterization to make sure it'll work in the corner cases, e.g. high temperature, strong signals, bright sunlight right in the field of view.

So I do a fair amount of prototyping--overall, I probably spend almost as much time on protos as on Spice, but less than I do on analysis or on actual schematics.

But then I'm a physicist. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

dangerous. The original use of the word by Young was satiric and critical of the coming social system in the UK. The problem is obviously with the self-perpetuating meritocratic ruling class and the relevance and consequences of their so-called measure of merit from a social science perspective. Here is an article written by Michael Young himself, but I doubt your reading comprehension is up to it.

Are you actually Sloman in disguise?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

One sometimes tries to drift things back on-topic, but it's usually a losing battle.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Certainly, email me. I'm always interested in what other people, especially in other countries, are up to. Rumors have it that even Canadians are doing electronics these days.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Great! Where had you been for so long?! Just promise to help me using five of your precious minutes in a month, then. Regards

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay

Do you have a working email-Id.? I tried to send you and email and it bounced right back. I am sorry for the unsolicited email, but it's important. If you have no objection, just send an email to my Id. and I would reply back. Regards

Reply to
rajibbandopadhyay

VERY occasionally I have found a use for h-parameters... piece of cake to write them into a subcircuit (Spice) model when no other model is available. ...Jim Thompson