Apparently, the acoustic weapons are here

I think the pirates had them kind of outgunned - or are you advocating outfitting cruise ships with heavy armaments? ;-) (they _do_ have the right, you know. :-) )

Of course, your personal piece is to be used in case of actual boarding, a la Atheist Airlines. ;-}

When I'm elected president on the "I will fire the IRS" platform, I plan to have my inauguration in a large stadium in a state that doesn't like the income tax and hasn't passed bizarre anti-gun laws, and invite everyone to show up heavily armed. That way, when I fire the IRS and the Secret Service (and whatever other black ops are under the purview of the Executive Branch) on network TV, and THEY cap me, the Citizens can take them down.

BWAHAHAHAaaaa! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Diesel oil. Followed by a flare gun.

All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I think *this* device will deal rather more effectively with the problem:

Ratheon makes electronics ;-)

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Judging from that picture, it is an anti-aircraft weapon; I doubt it can be depressed far enough to attack surface vessels.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Picky, picky, picky.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

"Block 1B Phalanx Surface Mode (PSUM) incorporates a side mounted Forward Looking Infrared Radar (FLIR) which enables CIWS to engage low slow or hovering aircraft and surface craft."

--
  Keith
Reply to

And you want to go on a pleasure cruise on a boat outfitted with these things?

What if we just stopped pissing off everybody on the planet?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

I read in sci.electronics.design that Richard the Dreaded Libertarian wrote (in ) about 'Apparently, the acoustic weapons are here', on Thu, 10 Nov 2005:

Not possible; always there is someone...

John Woodgate

Yes. We should just stand down and surrender to the Islamic terrorists before we get our poor little leftist weenie bodies hurt.

When Hillary is elected President that's probably what will happen... we'll withdraw from Iraq, and we'll have rioting in the streets every night, and an atomic war between Israel and all of the Arab "states".

But we'll all be OK, just as long as you wear your burqa ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Oh, bullshit. You right-wing brain-locked death-worshipers just have no clue.

The "terrorism" is a _RESPONSE_ to American aggression.

Until you can see that, you will be fighting for the destruction of everything that you claim to hold dear.

You're sick, man. You need to get well.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

From where comes this vision of "rioting in the streets"? Are you truly clairvoyant?

Maybe we should just let Israel and "the Arab 'states'" nuke each other, and let Big Oil find their own oil? Or send in roughnecks with radiation suits?

You right-wing dupes' problem is that you think that if we quit stealing 30-40% of the working man's paycheck to spend on secret weapons of mass destruction, that - - - I don't know what the f*ck it is that you think.

Maybe you're just terrified of Liberty in general. Freedom's great, as long as everybody else behaves themselves according to your standards, is that what it is?

Please explain. Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

Sure. If it's designed properly the field of fire won't impinge on the ship.

These pirates would have attacked ANY flag. They were not after Americans, they were after money. Used to be that piracy was a no-questions-asked death sentence, with the captain of the ship hanging all of them in a row. I see no reason to change that policy.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

I'd second that.

I'd also outfit cruise ships with small missiles and heavy duty machine guns.

...Jim Thompson

Particularly if they are deliberately sailing into areas KNOWN to be infested with pirates. Damn silly route, by the way. Kind of like going on a big game safari wearing a steak jacket and carrying only a Nerf bat for protection.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Sno-o-o-o-rt ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I have mounted 24 ( 4 X 6 ) Sonalerts, each of which puts out a 110 db level at some distance (unknown to me) in front of it, into a panel I have attached to a wooden box. Each unit is rated up to 35 volts DC. I power the sucker with 30VDC. I tell you, you don't want to be in the same room with it. My wife yelled at me from upstairs. Heh, heh, it was worth it!

Al

Reply to
Al

Uh... twice it said flat panel in the quoted text. Multi-transducer? Phase coherent emitter? Flat panel? This very much suggests parametric projection.

Why would you think 30 degrees is narrow? If you wish to point it at someone a hundred yards away, you need a narrow beam.

Why not parametric projection? As long as power limits are not exceeded, there is nothing inherent in parametric transducers that prevent you from sending two differently phased signals.

Parametric would enable tighter beam, therefore longer range, and also maybe explain the rather modest dB rating at 500W. Perhaps the intention is to disorient. One of the characteristics of parametric broadcast of sound is that the audible sound seems to come from nearby rather than from the source. It might spoil someone's aim if they are suddenly subject to a very loud warbling screech.

Way back when... I built an alarm for my car. Being aware that the usual honking horn or siren under the hood was useless, I put a bunch of cheap speakers under the dash. I attempted to find a good high frequency and found a few high pitches that sounded louder than nearby. At first I assumed this was simply resonance in the speakers and space under the dash, but I found that my friends had slightly different "peak" pain frequencies. So I set it to warble around that frequency range.

The alarm was set to wait a few seconds to allow the thief time to get into the car and be reaching for the stereo when the alarm goes off.

Drat it all, after that no one broke into my car.

Steve Greenfield

Reply to
polymorph

That should last about 5 minutes then !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Were they close enough to each other in frequency so that they locked?

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

The prerequisite for any culture is that there is an external enemy. Real or imagined. I could go on but it has been all said before.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to