Ocean Acoustic Thermometry

The description in the article is quite vague, but the takeaway is not:

"Converting those travel times [ocean floor repetitive earthquake acoustic stimuli] to temperatures, Wu and his colleagues found that the eastern Indi

ed up well with Argo measures from the same time, but the warming signal wa s nearly double what the Argo floats detected. The disparity suggests Argo is missing some heat, Callies says, at least for this basin over this short span of time. Some 40% of their heat measurement came from water below 200

0 meters, suggesting some warming is working its way deeper into the ocean, out of Argo?s current reach."

0.044oC doesn't sound like much but it represents a phenomenally HUGE amoun t of energy.

uake-sounds

Looks like the most recent comprehensive earth energy imbalance assessment is obsolete before it even hits the press.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Ah, another victim of the huge number fallacy. Of course the numbers are huge. The *ocean* is huge. What did you expect? 0.044 degrees is in the noise. They haven't even a clue what path their acoustic waves took.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

It sounds silly to me. Ocean currents, salinity changes, topography changes, herds of shrimp, and instrument drifts could easily overwhelm a tiny measurement like that. It gets press because it ratchets up another measurement of Global Warming. If they had measured cooling, the study would have never been published.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

reach."

Seriously, the most glaring flaw in the report is how do they know ten year data on a brand new means of measurement?

The 0.044C is maybe not so small when you consider the huge thermal mass in volved. Do you have any idea what kind of fluctuation to expect from deep o cean data?

I don't think they need to know the trajectory of the acoustic signal with any exactitude. They should be able to sort that out from the time of arriv al. Late time of arrival signals are from deeper cooler water. Lack of sign ificant spread in time of arrival indicates lack of significant spread of t emperature gradient with depth.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

:

or

t reach."

I'm pretty sure that those kinds of interference don't affect the deep wate r measurements all that much.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

:

or

t reach."

Probably not. If they did, the numbers would be all over the shop and there 'd be a wide distribution across all the measurements taken.

They know enough about the path their signal took to know that 40% of the p ath was through water deeper than 2000 metres - that is a bit more than "a clue" about the route travelled.

ng. If they had measured cooling,

If it had measured cooling, it would have created massive surprise, and got a great deal more publicity.

John Larkin hasn't the remotest idea of how science works, and swallows the nonsense propaganda published by Anthony Watts and the rest of the merchan ts of doubt like the gullible twit he is.

Science doesn't seem to have ever taught John Larkin much, and he has learn ed most of the doubt he so publicly ventilates from the people who get paid for creating more of it. He even thinks that Donald Trump is doing a good job.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

No,not silly at all; it's a tool that gives info on distant (hard-to-study) parts of the planet (the deep ocean). All the things that 'overwhelm' are things it can DETECT, it's just that sensitive. Those are doors to new knowledge, if you want that.

Nonsense. I could refute that argument, if it had any content.

Reply to
whit3rd

I think I have a few more like that in a box downstairs.

Show us some of your work.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to