Anyone Here from Atlanta?

Hello Andy,

Well, according to this list Australia is pretty high up on the list on per capita beer consumption:

They say Darwin sticks out as being top of the world at 230l/yr although I doubt that would beat some Bavarian towns. Wonder why that is, aftermath of cyclone Tracy or something? That was more than 30 years ago but still a rather terrifying event.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

If you have ever visited Darwin (as I have, and during Easter 2003), you would know that it can be very, very, "warm". (The "Top End" has a "wet season" and a "dry season", and the time I visited coincided with the end of the former and the start of the latter. That said, I strongly suspect it is typically pretty hot there on a year-round basis.)

Someone supposedly once remarked that the railway between Alice Springs and Darwin (which had yet to be fully completed at the time I visited) would end up only being used to carry beer into Darwin, and as I saw no evidence of any "standard" size brewery at the time I visited, it would probably still be well-used for that purpose alone. :-) (In addition to that usage though, the "Ghan" passenger train service, which now makes two return trips per week between Adelaide and Darwin, is very well patronised, and the train is reputably normally over one kilometre in length.)

Regards, Geoff Harland. g snipped-for-privacy@optum12net.cos.au (Transpose m & s in address provided - then also remove cuberoot of 10^3 + 9^3 - 1^3.)

Reply to
Geoff Harland

It's probably because they've figured out that they're living in Darwin, Australia. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich, but drunk