Anyone Here from Atlanta?

I'll be in Atlanta (Georgia Tech area) Sunday evening thru Tuesday afternoon.

MAYBE squeeze in tipping a few, if I'm not locked into the client every minute.

Any lurkers from that area?

...Jim Thompson

The city of Pittsbugh has a very large bar per capita ratio, however Atlanta has an even higher ratio..

From a little research i did a while back...

OK I did some search on City Search.

City bars pop

Pittsburgh 200 423K

Milwaukee 198 583K

Atlanta 267 425K

St. Louis 169 453K

Dallas 248 904K

NY 1347 8M

Have fun.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Interesting ;-)

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

has

My home town of Sheffield (UK) has 603 pubs for 520k people. I can't decide if that means Americans are anti-social or that we're a bunch of drunks :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Is the Golden Perch, halfway up the 75 bus route just past the old dole office and cafe, still there, I assume bus routes are forever, but don't cost 2p anymore.

Get yourself in there for a proper game of bar billiards with the local lesbiens and have a pint of Timmy Taylors Porter...... It is winter you know :-) Neck three of them and then stand up.

Give my regards to the Landlord. He should be the bloke with the tweed jacket, glasses and elbow patches but looks a bit older. You might meet the German bloke as well.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Hello Tim,

Go to Bavaria and you'll find little villages with

Reply to
Joerg

You might have gotten one--if you hadn't mentioned Georgia Tech. 8-)

http://66.102.9.104/search?num=100&q=Michael-Covington+georgia

Reply to
JeffM

has

Amateurs. San Francisco, 1142, 744,230.

John

has

And you get the good stuff there. Anchor Steam, Gordon Biersch etc.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Did some calcs :)

City bars pop quote NY 1347 8M 6.0 Dallas 248 904K 3.6 Milwaukee 198 583K 2.9 St. Louis 169 453K 2.7 Pittsburgh 200 423K 2.1 Atlanta 267 425K 1.6 San Francisco 1142 744K 0.7 (744K?)

Reply to
pbdelete

Atlanta has

Reply to
<tapwater

has

And Guinness, Harp, Bass, Sierra, Fat Tire, and Widmer on tap.

The Oracle convention is in town, so the alcohol pipeline will be running at capacity. They ran out of space at Moscone, and grabbed every hotel ballroom in town, and it's still not enough. So they rented Howard Street and put a tent over it, for the "refreshment" area.

Their main campus is down in Redwood City. At sunset, it looks like the galactic headquarters of The Other Evil Empire, which it sort of is.

John

has

Yup, 744K. It's a tiny town, 7x7 miles and a lot of that undeveloped. I live two blocks from an actual rock-climbing canyon with a sort-of stream running down the center.

John

Joerg wrote in news:5D%Zg.18157$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

This is the Deep South; until recently 'microbrews' and other locally grown drinks were known as 'moonshine'. Back in the late 60s my father bought land up in the foothills that had the remains of a busted-up illegal still.

Nowdays, it's pot greenhouses and meth labs. I miss the good old days.

--Damon, ex-Jawja boy now living in the Pacific Northwet

Reply to
Damon Hill

has

Rock-climbing canyon? Where? Near Golden Gate Park?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Hello Damon,

I've heard that's why many race car drivers come from there. They either were fast enough or got caught.

Out here they busted dozen of upscale homes that had been pot farms inside. Very sad.

Regards, Joerg, ex-dshermen boy now living in the Pacific Southwest :-)

Joerg

Atlanta has

No, Glen Canyon, near the south end of the city. Google Earth for Elk street. That's where I take my morning hike.

John

Atlanta has

Oh, ok. South of Twin Peaks, right?

I'll have to explore that area sometime.

I've been wanting to hike Mt. Tam, but just never found the time.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Atlanta has

Yeah, but pretty far, almost Daly City.

Tam is wonderful, especially in spring and early summer when the waterfalls are going strong. Bootjack trail, from Muir Woods to Bootjack Camp, is a hard climb but worth it. Spring Trail is flatter and leads to some cascades that are fun to walk in. Have a beer at the Pelican Inn, an ersatz Olde English pub (with ersatz Olde English food) near Muir Beach.

John

I lived in a town (warwick queensland australia) with 20000 others and it had 14 pubs. Most pubs per head of population in the southern hemisphere at the time. Wikipedia suggests there is only 12000 people there now but I doubt that figure. A quick flick on the net seems to suggest there is still 14 pubs there.

Reply to
The Real Andy