External Back-up Drive Recommendations

What brand would lurkers here recommend for a USB back-up drive?

...Jim Thompson

We've uses a Simple Tech 250G drive for over a year. On continiuosly. Hasnt failed yet.

Martin Riddle

Looked it up... looks good!! Anyone second the motion ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

Western Digital MyBook seems to be good bargain. It stands up like a book and conveniently fits in many small fire-proof safes, true plug-and-play.

$109 for 250GB version:

$199 for 500GB version:

Other deals:

Note that 500GB and 750GB are currently the standards for massive singular disk drives, so any TB+ drives are most likely multiple drives acting as one, with concomitant implications.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

I got an Acomdata 250G USB drive at Fry's (in Phoenix) last year, and it's been pretty reliable. I found that it would hang with USB1.0 port, but works fine with 2.0. Not sure if that's the drive or the PC/OS though.

Chris

Christopher Ott

I bought a $40.00 hard drive enclosure as seen on:

And installed a hard drive I wasn't using. D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Well, not really.

HITACHI SHATTERS CAPACITY RECORD WITH WORLD'S FIRST TERABYTE HARD DRIVE

1TB Achievement Gives Consumers Colossal Storage Capacity for the Digital Lifestyle

CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SHOW 2007, LAS VEGAS - January 5, 2007 - Consumers' ability to store video, photos, music and other valued data will reach new heights as Hitachi Global Storage Technologies today announced the industry's first terabyte (TB) hard drive. Delivering superior performance and reliability, as well as capacity, Hitachi's 1TB hard drive meets the needs of consumers who want to create, share and store their digital information, and lots of it. Hitachi's Deskstar® 7K1000 will begin shipping to retail customers in the first quarter of 2007 at a suggested retail price of $399 (USD), or 40 cents per gigabyte (GB). This new consumer-friendly price makes ultra-high storage capacity more affordable and accessible than ever before.

[snip]

Pricing and Availability for the Deskstar 7K1000 The Deskstar 7K1000 SATA version will be available in Q1 2007 at 750-GB and one-TB capacities. The 1TB capacity point will have a suggested retail price of $399 (USD).

The CinemaStar 1TB hard drive will be available in the second quarter.

Technical Specifications

a.. Deskstar 7K1000 b.. 1000/750 GB - SATA (GB = 1 billion bytes, accessible capacity may be less) c.. 148 billion bits per square inch maximum areal density d.. 1070 Mb/s max. media data rate e.. 8.7 ms average seek time (with command overhead) f.. 7,200 RPM, 4.17 ms average latency g.. Serial-ATA 3.0Gb/s h.. 32 MB data buffer - SATA i.. 26.1 mm in height (max) j.. 700g in weight (max) k.. 5/4 platters, 10/8 recording heads - SATA l.. 300 G/1 ms pulse non-operating shock m.. 9.0 (5 disk)/8.1 (4 disk) watt idle power - SATA n.. 2.9 Bels typical idle acoustics o.. 5-60 degrees C operating temperature

Reply to
Robert

Whatever brand costs about USD 100 for a 250 GB drive (the casing also costs about USD 100).

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Case (add your own IDE HDD) with external switching power supply (for a 3.5" drive) and fan should cost maybe $30 or $40. USB2.0/Firewire is a bit more. There are more eSATA types coming on the market now.

There are also nice complete name-brand products like this one:

Spehro Pefhany

I've been buying LaCie *firewire* drives for many years and have been well served. Also, I recently bought a LaCie DVD Burner (also firewire), and it is the one HP puts in their computers.

My only USB2 drive is a shirt-pocket 80G, which I packaged after my G# 500 computer went boom. I like it too, but only when used in a USB2 port. In a USB port it's a mite slow.

Anyone need an assortment of SCSI drives?

Don

Reply to
Don Bowey

There are many network attached storage (NAS) boxes that are Preferably over a well encrypted WLAN so it can be tucked away in a "quiet

The WLAN ones are less common, but certainly out there... e.g., the D-Link DSM-G600.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I think the drive preference is all yours! I have a couple of 250G external hd's. The oldest is an "I/O Gear" and the newest is an "Ultra" brand. Both have the option to use either a fire wire or a usb connection. The fire wire option on the I/O Gear unit has dropped out of ready a few times while the USB option has worked without a problem.

I suspect the problem is related to hardware overruns (just a gut feel) but keeping the outboards on the USB gives no problems. The rest of the machine is: ASUS N78X-E MB, AMD 2000 CPU, C: 60G HD, D:250G HD, E: CD/DVD/RW, F:

56X CD; Misc stuff on USB ports, XP PRO SP2. The system stays up 24/7. Formatting etc on the externals is messy enough that I am inclined to bring them inboard for the process.

I have not been entirely successful in cloning my 60G C: to a 250G YET. I have some critical apps that will keep me conservative until Feb 1.

BTW, "Cables To Go" has a power pack/usb connection WITHOUT the case that looks interesting...It would appear that you could put multiple drives in one box.

How come we cannot daisy chain USB's? John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

I have been using a 40GB version of this. Just USB but neat. Fits into shirt pocket. Smart disk Firelight

greg

Reply to
GregS

I guess the price goes down, more GB

Ah here it is...

GregS

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:42:54 GMT, Joerg transparently proposed:

Ximeta Technology NDU10-250 250GB

or just buy their netdisk enclosure and use your own drive.

Netdisk Office 120 has a built in 8 port ethernet switch. Bit more money for less storage.

Reply to
Flivvit

Seems to be priced right, under $200. Not WLAN though but at least it can be hooked up to the LAN. Got enough CAT-5 on the spool to install another run to wherever it's parked.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Just a warning-- I bought one of those dual USB2.0/LAN boxes and had to return it. No warning on the outside of the carton, but to use the LAN connection the HDD had to use FAT32 rather than NTFS (which was okay over USB) and to add insult to injury, there was a 32G limit (again, for NAS only, not USB).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hmm, wonder why that is. No such limits when two PCs are accessing each other's hard drives over the LAN.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

We use a NAS for a hard drive with an ethernet connection. It servers as an FTP server too. This method allows our customers to send their data to use for processing.

The drive is also mapped in as a destination for backup data. Later, the backups are copied to a secondary USB drive across town.

HNAS1 from Hawking Technology < $90 plus a PATA drive of your choice.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Yum! Yum! Yum!

And I thought Seagate would be first.