Any hackers in here? Hack a Google Home?

You could try to glitch the bootloader. A common process is: After downloading the update and verifying the signature, a flag is set in the bootloader to copy the new software from the download to the working memory and the system is rebooted. When the new software is running correctly, the flag is reset. The flag-checking code could be glitched. This ensures that the copy is restarted when not completed, e.g. due to a power fail or reset. Erasing the update after a failed signature check is a bad idea, as it opens the door to flash wear-out attacks. Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

Programmers have enough difficulty getting things to work, nevermind be secure. Check this out, I have a fan spinning at 10 million revs per minute!:

Commander Kinsey

It's under-performing then, doing only 58 revs per sec. How high can you tease it? Try a CPU-hogging program, perhaps video conversion.

Ed

Reply to
Ed Cryer

I'm already running dark matter searches.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What you need is for the rest of the hardware to come into line with that CPU fan. There it sits, bored to death by the small-fry all around it; just waiting for stuff to turn up with which it can feel at home. How about one of these little babies?

Ed

Reply to
Ed Cryer

Lend me a fiver then.

I have managed to get a graphics card running with 50% more electricity than it wanted to. The VRM is happy but the power connectors were not. I think the plastic is not supposed to go liquid.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I take it your home is electrically heated.

When will your 4090 show up ? Maybe you can demo how to burn the connector on a Founders Edition ?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Indirectly.

The 4090 is only 30% faster than my Tahiti at dark matter calculations. Since it's £1800 instead of £80, I think I'll stay clear of that shit.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey