Any INTERDESIGN / FERRANTI familiars in here?

Hey guys!

I have two obsolete parts I am trying to source any info I can on (datasheets prefered).

One is INTERDESIGN 2741-01 datecode 51st week of 1980

Other is INTERDESIGN 2755a-01 datecode 1st week of 1983

They are 18 pin proprietary parts. I am trying to engineer a replacement for them as a hobby project. I briefly spoke with Hans Camenzind and he said he sold Interdesign to Ferranti in 1977. Both parts were engineered 1980 or prior because they both went into the same device circa that time but he does not recall these parts. So Sometime between 1977 and 1980 I suppose. I have dug for days on end and keep hitting brick walls. Any familiars out there? perhaps a databook from that era that showcases these parts? ANything you could offer would be great. Thanks!

- Matt

Reply to
Matty-t

If you're trying to replace these parts in working gear, you'd be better off studying the circuit in which they are used and figure out a way of doing the same job, using currently familiar parts.

What is it you're trying to revive, and what makes you think these integrated circuits are kaput?

The ony non-proprietary output from Ferranti Interdesign that I'm aware of would have been breadboarding components.

MO-0xx - 20V bipolar process parts MO-1xx - 35V bipolar process parts MO-4xx - analog cmos process parts

You must realise that one of the main incentives for using a 'monochip' in a design was to prevent simple cicuit duplication by part number. The part number and pin count won't even be an indication of the basal chip size employed, although it sets some limits.

A custom device's main purpose was often to perform a dedicated function with a minimal part count, when commodity devices were unavailable to do so. A lot has changed in available device function and availability since the early 80s.

RL

Reply to
legg

Hey, at least you got to talk to Hans Camenzind.

Reply to
miso

ote:

The parts are definately unique. I've sent you an email, I hope you don't mind. Thanks.

- Matt

Reply to
Matty-t

It was a very brief conversation. I will say considering his time value that his reply was not obligated and I'm thankful he took the time to do so. Hans does still dedicate his time to the art, still does contracted design, produced a book that you can download for free as opposed to paying for it, and even has a youtube channel! So considering all that I was pleased that he found some extra time to entertain my inquiry.

- Matt

Reply to
Matty-t

Indeed.

I still have a fist-full in my parts bins.

There were some fairly large arrays, like a few hundred transistors, which then had a custom metal layer.

So finding data may be near impossible.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Not evident at this end.

If bouncing, manually remove 'nospam.'

RL

Reply to
legg

ote:

Hi, My mistake. I sent another email and CC'd to Jim.. I hope he doesn't mind. Thank you for anything you can contribute.

- Matt

Reply to
Matty-t

Yeah, I got the free book, but his being on youtube is new to me. I'm sure he enjoyed the money he got selling the company, but the sleaze that went on after he left must have made him glad he didn't name the company after himself.

Feranti hired two Exar employees with the notion of stealing Exar business. What they didn't realize was that ethic glue is stronger than money, and these guys came back to Exar with Interdesign customers for the Flexar gate array.

Reply to
miso

In article , Matty-t writes

Hi Matt,

I believe the Ferranti semiconductor arm metamorphosed into

- you might try rooting around their website. Ah, they appear to have been taken over (again) and are now part of Diodes, Inc.

Wikipedia has an article on Ferranti describing what happened to the various bits after the company collapsed when it bought a crooked American company, ISC.

--
Nemo
Reply to

Sort of like the US government buying GM ?:-)