Analog vs Digital TV during snowstorms.

Not ad free. It is just the same signal that you could/should be able=20 to get over the air. It just has plenty of signal strength and no=20 multipath to contend with. Premium packages (over $40-$50 per month)=20 usually add several channels that are not broadcast, but are still laden=20 with ads. Things like sports channels, movie channels, special interest=20 like discovery, history, food, DIY, home and garden, shopping, jewelry, = etc.,

Reply to
JosephKK

s/managers/government bureaucrats/

Reply to
krw

...some channels nothing _but_ ads (infomercials).

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

ARE there any "ad-free" channels anymore? I don't believe so.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

HBO, Cinemax, and the like. ...if you ignore their "previews".

Reply to
krw

On Feb 11, 2:03 pm, Jim Thompson

Andy comments:

I hope it all has a "happy ending "..... :>))))

Reply to
AndyS

Turner Movie Channel has no breaks _during_ the movie (*), and it's generally available in extended basic plans.

(*) Actually a bit of a nuisance... no pee breaks :-(

Fortunately there's a "slave-able" TV in the kitchen (that "repeats" anything DVD, VCR or cable from the great room), so I can replenish the wine without suffering.

Maybe I need to add a small monitor in the closest bathroom ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I doubt it was a complaint about reception issues. Quite a testimonial for Effexor.

Police in Georgia say a 23-year-old man grabbed a baseball bat inside of a Wal-Mart and smashed 29 flat-screen televisions. Police in Lilburn near Atlanta have charged Westley Strellis with 29 counts of criminal damage to property in the second degree. Witnesses tell police he grabbed a metal baseball bat from the sporting goods section Wednesday, walked to the electronics department and destroyed the TVs on display.

Westley Strellis Walmart Rampage: Man SMASHES 29 Flat Screen TVs

First Posted: 02-11-10 01:19 PM | Updated: 02-12-10 06:41 AM

A Georgia man went on a rampage yesterday at a Walmart outside of Atlanta, smashing dozens of flat-screen televisions with a baseball bat he found in the store.

The man, 23-year-old Westley Strellis, bashed in 29 flat-screen televisions worth $22,000, reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution. He was charged with a whopping 29 counts of criminal damage to property.

WATCH video from the store surveillance cameras:

Strellis invoked his Fifth Amendment right to stay mum, so his motive remains a mystery. According to the police report, when officers arrived on the scene, Strellis was sitting in an aisle in the store's electronics department. When approached, he held out his wrists, signaling for the officer to handcuff him. Police found a bottle of Effexor XR, an anti-depressant, in Strellis's possession.

Reply to
Greegor

I'm thinking about doing that in our kitchen, but there is no way to get a cable from the VT in there. Is there an RF thingy for short distances? Line of sight, would even do it.

Reply to
krw

who

A few anyway; surely you don't think that the equipment vendors would = have no say.

Reply to
JosephKK

There are many personal radio stations on the net without ads, and=20 some religious channels as well; then there is Al Jazeera and some=20 other Islamic providers (oh wait a minute they are semi-religious).

But no, not much at all.

Reply to
JosephKK

The large scale digital TV transmission started in satellite TV. This was easy to implement, since the transmission path was very predicable and linear.

For he broadcasters, digital systems made it easy to implement efficient scrambling algorithms for pay-TV.

It also made possible to send multiple programs over a single transponder instead of just one analog program, thus reducing the distribution costs per program significantly.

It appears that all over the world broadcasters think that multiplying the number of programs, the number of seconds that could be sold for advertisement also multiplied and hence the income would multiply.

Apparently, they did not notice that the audience is also split among a larger number of programs, thus, the advertisers are not going to pay the same amount for the seconds any longer :-).

Anyway, the terrestrial broadcasters also wanted more programs to compete with satellite broadcasters and going digital appeared to solve the problem.

Unfortunately, the terrestrial propagation is far more complex than the simple satellite downlink path. Several manufacturers proposed various systems and the ATSC committee then tried to find a compromise.

In hindsight it appears that they picked the wrong option by selecting

8VSB, since the OFDM based systems such as DVB-H/T/T2 are much more flexible, from handheld mobile systems to large HDTV SFN networks, depending on parameters selected.
Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Neither. Turn the TV off and shovel the sidewalk.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ The large print giveth and the small print taketh away. -- Tom Waits

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

say.

By indirection, through their congresscritters (they, only because they bought them) down the food chain to the bureaucrats, sure.

Reply to
krw

krw wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

you gotta remember,the FCC,a gov't agency,is the one who made the decision. That says a lot.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Precisely my point. Technical merits of one system over another have nothing to do with it. Bribes and bureaucrats have everything to do with it.

Reply to
krw

JY > you gotta remember,the FCC,a gov't agency,is the JY > one who made the decision. That says a lot.

Interesting points all. The TV makers themselves profited either way. They'd see no advantage to making a wimpy system. The Cable TV companies and the Sat TV companies would be who I'd suspect for the bribery.

Reply to
Greegor

Yes, although percentage-wise few enough people get their programming over-the-air that there's not a huge *disincentive* to their adopting a wimpy system either.

If you dig back through the history of ATSC development, early many of the proposed standards were driven by which patents or other strengths a particular company had. TVs are low margin items, after all, so if you could get a particular, e.g., modulation or encoding scheme standardized that you use for "free" but all your competitors have to license, that can be a pretty major bump to your bottom line.

Things like DVD players and Blu-Ray players have so much intellectual property in them that there are companies set up whose sole purpose is to round up and license all the necessary patents and coordinate charging manufacturers for them and then dispersing those funds to the license holders.

Good point. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

No Jim, what you need is a DVR!

I have found them to be essential. You need a biology break, you hit pause, and you don't miss a thing. Or, you miss a line, so you back it up about 10 seconds, and listen really closely. For us, it is the two channels at a time trick. You record channel A, while watching channel B. You watch B till the first commercial, then pause it. You start watching the recording of channel A, fast forwarding through the commercials, till you are 'thumped!' (that is the noise the system makes when you have caught up to real time...) then you switch back to the live show, and watch it till you are thumped. Back and forth, and you never see a commercial!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Good point! I had been pondering turning in the ancient box and getting the DVR-style. I subscribe already to those channels which would include the DVR in the charge. I watch so little TV, other than movies, that it just didn't register as the solution to needing a "biology" break ;-) ...Jim Thompson