Analog Switch

I have a DSPT dual single pole double throw analog switch (Dual channel 2:1 mux/demux). Now I have some questions regarding analog switches?

  1. How do these differ from digital mux which I am faimilar with (which is basically a selector between multiple inputs based on some select signals)? Whats strange is the schematic of the circuit uses digital signals TTL as inputs/outputs? I read some where that some analog switches allow digital signals?

  1. The part says its a switch (mux/demux). Does that mean the inputs and outputs can be swapped. Basically is it like a physical connection between 2 set of pins based on a select line. Because from my understanding thats what a switch is? more over it says its mux/demux?

I hope someone can clarify this.

-- Vishal

Reply to
vcpatel36

Vishal, sounds like you're too stupid to read a datasheet, so what makes you think we can clarify the situation for you?

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Analog switches may be thought of a simple physical switches, except with (sometimes substantial) resistance.

Only the CONTROLS of an analog switch are digital.

Usually they are bi-directional. However some VIDEO muxes have buffers, which render them uni-directional.

...Jim Thompson

Here we have the proof that a mother-in-hip-boots makes you cranky ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Can I make a video of you and Teh Phil from oz in bed together?

I've just upgraded from Ampex Ace editing stuff to move_eeeemaker, it should be quite good, even frame accurate

Video_cum_splash_screen optional

(bored)

martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

A digital mux only passes digital signals. An analog switch passes analog signals! Thats a big difference.

Basically its like a BJT designed to run as a switch or as a driver... but in this case its probably fets.

Yes. If its analog then it can, but not always, run in both direction. Basically if you have n to 1 and you swap it then its 1 to n.

(think about it using normal mechanical switches... there should be no difference except "relativity"... this isn't always the case though, say if there are diodes in the paths)

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

--
You do?
Reply to

A SW manager said it's the other way around. At least since Max Planck.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

--
Well, yes, of course, if you want to get into the hallowed hall of
grits versus jello.

This thread, though, is about voltage changes versus changes in time,
which is analog.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

sci.electronics.design.... where *anything* is on topic... Except basic electronics. :)

[...]
--

John Devereux
Reply to

Unless it's electronic voting machines :-)

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

--
Actually, it _is_ on topic, but hardly appropriate in our rarified
air. ;)

JF
Reply to
John Fields

thanks to those who replied. i am sorry if this question didn't belong here.

@john fields... a piece of advise... if you don't want to answer then its fine at least you don't have to act as a smart a**

Reply to
vcpatel36

--
It\'s not an act, (That means I really _am_ a smartass, you
semi-literate babboon.) and I _did_ answer:

"Your question belongs in sci.electronics.basics, and you could help
by posting the manufacturer and a part number.

In any case, if it\'s described as a mux/demux then it must be
bidirectional since a multiplexer (mux) will connect one of several
inputs to a single output, while a demux will connect a single input
to one of several outputs.

That means its input(s) and output(s) can be swapped."

Then, you ungrateful whelp, not only did you not thank me for my
excellent logic at arriving at a good and valid answer, nor post the
manufacturer and part number, as requested, (for further refinement of
the answer, if necessary) you chose to get an attitude because you got
your feathers a little ruffled.

Well, I think Fred Bloggs\' comment and the fact that you post from
google groups pretty much says it all.

As for your "advise",  I suggest you stick it where it belongs.

Yup, up your ass.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Go read comp.risks for a while. It seems you need to.

Reply to
JosephKK