Double throw momentary switch question

---

  1. Do you want the latch to change state (toggle) each time you double-click the pushbutton or do you only want it to react the first time you double-click and then stay where it is until it's reset by something else?

  1. Do you have to use a SPST switch or can you use a DPDT?

-- John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

Hi,

Can anybody tell me a simple way to tweak a simple latch circuit to change state when the button is pressed in quick succession (say within

1 second). Exactly like a double click on a computer.

The schematic I've been working off is second circuit down at,

Would really appreciate any advice,

Hal.

Reply to
Hal Leemux

It needs to change state every time it is double clicked.

I need to be using a momentary switch which will eventually be substituted with a vibration sensor.

Reply to
Hal Leemux

--
OK
Reply to

--
OK. I just posted a basic circuit for you on
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic under the same subject as this

If you need a circuit description or you need help with the timing
components and you know how much time you want between knocks and sets
of knocks post back (either here or to abse) and I'll help you figure
it out.
Reply to
John Fields

The sensor on its own gives lots of outputs as per your first example. When in the latch schematic I mentioned in my original post it is debounced slightly so it acts more like your second example.

The ultimate idea is to have a circuit which toggles on or off when the sensor picks up a double knock in quick succession on a surface (exactly like a double knock on a door).

Reply to
Hal Leemux

--
I made a mistake on the schematic :-(

I've got the trigger input of the 7555 connected to Q of the second
half of the 4538 when it should be connected to Q\.  Also, in order to
get you the 2s between successful sets of pairs of knocks I'll have to
add another one-shot.  I'll fix it and post the values for the timing
components some time tomorrow.
Reply to
John Fields

Thanks a lot John - I'm really grateful. It all seems very clear.

I might need a little help on the timing values though. Any two knocks in 1 second and 2 seconds between knocks seems about what I need.

Reply to
Hal Leemux

On Sunday 26 September 2004 10:32 am, Hal Leemux did deign to grace us with the following:

Learn how to do this, and for version 2 you can make your secret knock, "Shave and a haircut, six bucks!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

--
From what's been posted so far, here are what I think the answers are
to your questions:

Maybe I've missed a crucial post, but the requirement still seems ill-defined to me?

There seem several facts not yet specified, such as:

  1. What frequency is vibration?
  2. What is voltage supply
  3. Will vibration sensor signal have full amplitude of voltage supply?
  4. If we call the period of vibration a 'knock', how long can each knock be?
  5. Should that matter?
  6. Should a *very* brief knock (possibly due to an accidental or premature, or just external noise) count?
  7. What happens with say 3 successive knocks within 1 s? etc, etc.

I've tried to illustrate these in

Turning to the circuit, assuming we can tighten up the spec along the lines above, intuition says a much simpler approach than John's ought to be possible. (Although I haven't got one to offer .)

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

--
"Dual knock detector 2" on abse...
Reply to

Thanks, that's clarified it nicely for me. Look forward to seeing the circuit.

Your summary also helped crystallise this question to the OP: why not simplify and toggle with *one* (significant) knock? By definition, you're going to get a toggle with 2, 3, 4 or maybe even more rapid knocks, so why single out 1 for exclusion?

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Here's an alternative implementation of John's design.

Let me know if you have queries, or want to see simulated waveforms.

I'll also post a copy of this in a.b.s.e.

--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

Thanks for your help Terry. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hal.

Reply to
Hal Leemux